30 amp shore power - Dual AC upgrade question

Started by Evildodge, May 22, 2022, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evildodge

In restoring my 87 Fleetwood I replaced both of the original AC units with high efficiency, 13.5kw Houghton soft start heat pumps. They run great off of the Emerald 4k generator with power to spare, but my stock electrical panel has a selector switch that only allows the front or rear ac to operate at a time and not both, which is a problem. My new units draw notably less power than the originals, so is it possible to bypass that switch or do I need to upgrade my entire service to a 50 amp to support it?

If a full upgrade is required, does anyone have any recommendations for components?

eXodus

you should measure amps of each unit.  If each unit draws less then say 12A when running full blast. That should be fine for 30A service.
You can certainly go in the main panel - open that selector switch and run the line of the second A/C unit to another breaker.

Still be aware - when you have both units running - and you start the Microwave you will most likely trip the 30A breaker.

I've put myself a sticker on the Microwave on button  "A/C running?" 
It's really the only downside of running on 30A service that you have to be a bit more conscious about your power use

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Evildodge

As an update for anyone else interested in doing so, I was able to successfully bypass that awful selector switch and am happy to report I can now run both my Houghton 13.5 units AND my microwave at the same time, all on a 30 amp service :)

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca