EL CHEAPO air intake

Previous Image | Next Image
Description: This is about as cheap as it gets, you can see the lamp shade tabbed into metal dryer ducting going to the air cleaner. This is the second setup as the first was wrapped with insulating foam tape I the water soaked in & the weight destroyed the ducting. Plastic is better, it doesn't transfer heat like metal. And if you look closer there IS a window screen over BOTH the intake & Trans cooler.
Picture Stats:
Views: 4549
Filesize: 37.32kB
Height: 374 Width: 500
Posted by: GONMAD at July 12, 2013, 06:27 PM

Image Linking Codes
BB Code
Direct Link
Show Html Link Code

Comments (3)

Oz
July 12, 2013, 09:10 PM
1/4"?  At least 90% of all insects could fit through that.  I used  window screen.  Periodically, I'd just take a little whisk brush and give it a couple of quick swipes and done.

When I lived in LA, I permanently mounted the mesh behind the entire grill of my truck and did the same thing.  Kept all the love bugs, humongo-beetles, and all those insects science doesn't even know exist yet, out of my radiator and every other place.  If it would have been the motorhome with the snorkels and no window screen, the air filter would have been clogged in a day... two at the most during love bug season.
Stripe
July 12, 2013, 08:59 PM
That would help, but I wouldn't use anything over 1/4".  I have a snorkel on my Toad that faces forward and it's grill is 3/4" plastic mesh.  Any insects that do get into the intake never makes it past the Air cleaner Box.  That is cool though, and I think I just may do that myself..  Hope you post a how to.. :)
Oz
July 12, 2013, 08:45 PM
Maybe think about putting some metal window screen over the end to keep the bugs and everything else from being sucked right into your air filter, clogging it sooner.  That's what I did with mine.