Driveshaft center bearing removal

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 13, 2008, 09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 9/26/2006 5:41 PM

I am replacing my center bearing on my driveshaft and need info about how to remove it .

Sent: 9/26/2006 7:16 PM

If I recall correctly, Dave Denison replaced his not too long ago.  I'm sure he can hook you up with great info.

Kev

Sent: 9/28/2006 4:57 AM

If your driveshaft is like mine. you have to drop the driveshaft at the rear axle, and slide that section off the splines of the next section. Try to mark the pieces before you slide them apart, as that will give you the best balance on re-assembly. Also, the yokes of the U-joints need to be lined up in the same manner as they originally were. Then you have to remove the driveshaft section that is supported in the center bearing. Mine unbolted from the back of the tranny, though some of them are splined into the transmission output housing. Again, try to mark the pieces before removal. The support bearing assembly should just have two large rusty bolts holding it. penetrating oil is good.
When you have the driveshaft-with-support-bearing off of the vehicle, you have to hamer the bearing carefully off of the splines. It is a slight interference fit. I doubt you would be able to save the dirt-slingers or mud shields that are on each side of the original bearing assembly, but the new bearing assembly will probably be a double sealed bearing anyway. I told the parts place the inner diameter of the support bearing, and the distance from the bearing center to the mounting surface, and they had the new one. They are apparently fairly standard. Mine had a 1-3/8ths inch inside diameter, (actually 1.373, to be a press fit on the 1.375 shaft). It cost $12.
Driving the new bearing assembly back-on wasnt too hard, after I cleaned up the splines and greased things. I still needed a hammer and a flat faced drift to to do it.
Of course an auto machine shop would be glad to do it I imagine. I changed mine at the side of a country road.

Sent: 9/28/2006 6:29 AM

Just a reminder to chock the wheels before you drop the driveshaft.   I will never forget the time that I forgot to do this.....and the winnie was in my driveway that has a slant to it.   I was chasing my winnie down my driveway.   12,000 pounds is a lot of weight to try to stop.
Rick

Sent: 9/29/2006 6:30 PM

Dave do you recall the part number on that bearing  , The one i come up with is a  HB-88107B with the slingers and it does not fit or they have HB-88107A without the slingers that does fit . the only design that is different is the bracket assembly.

Sent: 9/30/2006 3:49 AM

Sorry, I dont have the part number. They delivered it from the parts place because we couldnt come to get it - and it was out of the box already. It didnt have the mud slingers, but as the bearing had the plastic seals on both sides of it, I wasnt worried about having slingers. I would be glad to know what part number you install, and whose part number it is; the NAPA place, or a Moog or Dorman #, etc. I will be replacing the center support bearing in my 2nd Winnie next spring.

Sent: 9/30/2006 6:36 PM

Dave the part # i used is HB88107A and that is without the slingers. The other part # with the slingers is HB88107B and that one would not fit the shaft, they are listed as the same size in the books but the shaft size is different. i am doing some more research on this at work why they are listed as the same size shaft. I will let you know.The mfg is BCA bearing and you can get it at napa or many other parts stores.