Breaking the steering gear locknut for worm thrust adjustment

Started by Clyde9, November 12, 2008, 11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 4/23/2006 1:50 PM

That baby is ? welded from rust on the steering gear.  How did you manage to loosen that lock nut ???

Sent: 4/23/2006 4:34 PM

After soaking it with penetrating oil, you hammer it loose (counterclockwise) by putting a flat faced item of hard steel against the space between one section of the hex and the next section of the hex. I have used a 3/8th socket set extension that I didnt value much; using the end of the wrench that has the 3.8ths square pocket. The edge of that square pocket is flat enough and hard enough to be a good bearing surface against the locknut - which is a steel stamping I think. I hit the other end with my hammer. Its heavier than the typical claw hammer or framing hammer. -- not as big as a sledge hammer. You can also hammer against one or two of the flat sides of the hex with a flat faced tool, just to help dislodge the rust and let the penetrating oil get in. My locknut was stuck the first time, and the adjuster plug was also stiff. On Marks steering box, the locknut turned easily, and was turning the adjuster with it!
Remember; to properly adjust the steering shaft bearing preload, you must have the pitman arm adjuster backed out at least a full turn, if not two of them.
Thanks to the church office that let me use their computer on a sunday.

Sent: 4/23/2006 5:13 PM

I finally broke it with a big vise grips I have.   My adjuster plate is also turning and coming out with that lock nut ...   More later ...

Sent: 5/1/2006 12:18 PM

Not sure yet how it drives but that pitman/steering arm is now moving when I turn the steering shaft by hand under there ...    I never did get that adjusting nut loose, I have to believe that just breaking the locknut and pounding it back into place may, repeat may have been all it needed ...  The pitman/steering arm was not moving prior to this attempt ...

Sent: 5/6/2006 8:07 AM

Oh yeah, this was a step in the right direction.  Still not like in the car but I was doing 70 and wasn't scared S less ...