How long before changing Tires?

Started by fgutie35, November 16, 2009, 12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fgutie35

My tires look very good and lots of tread left on them. I cannot see the date of manufacture cause their in the inside, but if they would be 5 years plus, do I still have to replace??
I asked on another forum where mayority of members have super expensive Motorhomes and they all say Yes. I don't think I'm on the budget to dish out $1k+ on just tires. What do you guys think?? i??

Seon

When you read "Lifetime" warrantee, the recognized period is 7 years.  Tires that are 7 years old should be changed.

JDxeper

Tread depth on older rigs and newer ones as a matter of fact is not a good way to judge tires, you need to inspect sidewalls, both sides, for signs of weather cracks, any sign of weather cracks is bad news. Hot, dry is hard on tires  Seon is correct when in doubt replace on time not visual inspection.  Be safe first.!
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

fgutie35

Bummer! I guess I would have to start saving from now for when I need to replace. Thanks guys!

Seon

If you must, change the front tires first. As you know, it controls the steering so you definitely don't want a blow out and lose control.
Then when you have enough "Deniros", buy the rear tires.  Good luck.

jkilbert

dont forget that caps are okay on the drive axle....most otr trucks run new on the front and bandag caps on the rear. savings could be considerable especially if you can come up with some good casings
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

rcaircraftnut

If you plan to drive it anywhere in a desert or hot type climate, stay AWAY from recaps. Ive got over a million miles in an 18 wheeler and I HATE them. They will blow. It isnt a question of if, but rather WHEN, it happens. And when it happens, they come apart rather violently, so expect some damage and some guy to be tailgating you at the time and expect you to pay for his repairs as well.

LJ-TJ

Don't get to discouraged. I have to agree with JD. Jjust check for cracks on the side walls and tread thickness if there's no cracks should be good. However if they appear to be good but your questioning there safety then at the first chance replace the two front tires first and then as soon as you can replace the rears. If ya do two at a time it doesn't hurt quite as bad and you'll feel a hole lot better for it.

tiinytina

Have a mechanic or tire place you trust look at them... ours are going on 6 yrs but look great all the way around... Also if you can possibly park the rig on gravel or even just the tires up on a piece of plywood up off the cement/asphalt this tends to help as well....

I'm on board with no recaps... seen the damage that can happen on an RV when they blow,,, can take out body panels, plumbing, water tanks.... it wasn't pretty nor cheap to fix.

Also when inflating them go by rim rating not tire rating.....

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!