What engine antifreeze to use?

Started by Aaarrghh, July 08, 2016, 08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

I don't think I have ever broken off a 1/2" pipe plug, I have stripped the square off of a few. 8 point sockets and Kroil will prevent that from happening. The concentrate will enter the block through the water pump and mix with the water in the block since the entrance of the water pump is above the level of the water in the block. The heater hose, depending on which one you used comes out of the engine at the intake manifold or the water pump, both of which are above the level of the water in the block. The concentrate is water soluble so will mix with the water, not displace it.  Your choice, just be sure to test it down the road.

tmsnyder

On an '83?  Walmart Supertech and distilled water, 50/50

Aaarrghh

Surely, you jest!

"works in all makes and models. This auto antifreeze will mix with any color antifreeze/ coolant"

tmsnyder

I think Prestone was on sale at walmart when I went shopping for RV fluids, so it may actually be Prestone, but I know I used it in my suburban.  It's perfectly fine antifreeze. I wouldn't hesitate to use the supertech antifreeze.

M & J

I've read with great interest the research done about antifreeze. Then I had a modest chuckle. All of this discussion has been huge as far as what is available besides the good old green stuff with what protection is offered, vendors, costs.... But the chuckle came about when I think about what these engines were born and raised on: plain old green antifreeze available Walmart, Autozone and so on.
Dont get me wrong, we all want to protect our investments and your research is invaluable but spending alot of money on alternatives when Prestone or even store brands has kept millions of vehicles running great for decades is not something I've done or plan on doing.
I mean no offense, just my opinion sir.
M & J

Rickf1985

I was in my usual parts store today, small place not the big box stores where nobody knows a damn thing. We were have a good laugh over the anti freeze thing. I asked him how much the Prestone concentrate was, 17 and change, I asked about the Prestone 50/50 right next to it, 17 and even more change! The half strength stuff cost more than the concentrate!!! Marketing at it's best. The guy who came up with the idea of marketing and selling premixed antifreeze is a freakin' genius. They are doubling their money on the stuff. Even the store brand was not much better. Concentrate, 13.50 and 50/50 11.95.

legomybago

I've always used the "straight whatever is on sale anti-freeze" from the parts store. Then mix with DI water. Crazy people buy pre-mixed....But I do understand.... if your in a pinch/hurry, buy the premix, no one is going to make fun of you W%
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Aaarrghh

I know, I know. I can get soo particular about little things! But it's fun ;)

Anyway, my new radiator is installed, and O'Reillys came through with the Zerex. I was able to find and loosen a block drain with no problem. A LOT of water came out! But I still couldn't put but 9 quarts of concentrate in, even after the thermostat opened. Must be air in the motor somewhere, eh? I put the 10th quart in the recovery tank. Maybe it will get sucked in.

Thanks, everyone for the great advice. Couldn't have done without it.

Getoutdigin

Aaarrggh, your question is about antifreeze, but I'm thinking you may have an underlying issue with the fact your rig is 33years old and over heating. I have an 85 P30 Chevy w/454 I'm going thru. Radiator recore, water pump, timing chain, hoses and belts.....as I'm this deep.....why stop?  I've learned thru this forum about timing advance, re-curving the distributor and the importance of checking timing. Vacuum hose replacing is a biggie and easy to do. Older smog motors benefit from these simple upgrades. They run better, cooler and get better mileage.
Good luck hope this helps.
Philip

Aaarrghh

Thanks, Phillip,

I too have learned a lot from this forum. :)

My rig is running cooler with the new radiator, but here in Jacksonville there are no long grades to climb. If there's still a problem with overheating, say on the interstate, recurving the distributor would be the next thing. Everything you mention but the timing chain and recurving the distributor has been done. But as of now, the motor seems to be running well and gas mileage is what's to be expected of a vehicle this size.

Good luck with yours. Every little thing you do helps!