Can the original Dash A/C be re-charged?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 09, 2008, 11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 4/22/2005 1:06 AM

My rig has dash air, but I'm not even sure if it works.

Here are my questions:

First, someone mentioned that its useless, and that I should just remove the whole shebang, including the condensor on the radiator, to keep my engine cooler...is this a good idea?

My engine runs pretty cool, even at a long idle, so here's another question:

If I elect to keep the factory air, anyone know where I can get the old style freon to recharge the system?

If the old freon just can't be gotten, how expensive, and what has to be done, to convert it to the new stuff?

Thanks!

Kev and Patti Smith
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

denisondc

Sent: 4/22/2005 8:08 AM

I will send you an email, since my opinion is a long story. You can get a general education at: www.autoacforum.com, and www.ackits.com. I estimate you could get your dash a.c. system working again if you did most of the labor, for about $1000 to $1500. I think the price would be about the same whether you converted to use the new R134a, or stayed with the old R12. Refilling in the future would cost you a lot more with R12 however.
Our vacations are normally to coastal S. Texas in June/July/August, and I can stand that heat as long as we are driving around. So I never plan to add a dash a.c. to mine, but would actually like someone to try it, then tell me if they considered it worthwhile.

Boise_Chief

Sent: 4/22/2005 12:52 PM

Kevin.
I have the dash ac as well.  It's a weird combo of a roof top and compressor on the engine.  I was planning to give it a shot by refilling with r-134a.  I purchased a re-fill kit from schucks on clearance and another can of refridgerant as well.

I haven't looked into it at all.  I know the roof top runs but i haven't even checked to see if the compressor runs when you turn it on.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Sean

HAL

Sent: 4/23/2005 1:19 AM

the freon you are talking about is R-12 and it can still be bought, but you have to be certificated to buy and use it.. most repair shops that work on cars can due it. the roof ac usually uses r-22, the same as house ac.
You can usually find a service tec. that works on home ac that will check and service both of your units.
I found my roof AC just  about 1/2 lb low and the dash was all most empty. I serviced the roof with R-22 and lub. the fan motor. 2 oil fittings. The dash air I bought a can of HOT SHOT R-414 [same as R-22] but 1/3 the cost. It is a drop in repacement. and be mixed with R-22.
   HAL

77surveyor

Sent: 4/24/2005 9:32 PM

134A  mixes with R12 with no problems as far as the conversion i have 5 vehicles that were R12 and now 134A without the conversion and being in central FLA they do get used quite often when 134A first came out all the local dealers were mixing the two because the so called conversion was not advailable my 1977 m/h uses the old style ford compressure new from auto parts store was 69.00 well worth it does the dash unit cool a 31' motor home in 90 degree weather  no but when its hot and muggy and raining it shure helps keep the windshield clear  good luck   .. Richard 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 4/27/2005 7:52 AM

You asked which Schrader valve fitting is the high pressure and which the low pressure. The high pressure side would be the hose that leaves the compressor and goes to the condenser in front of the radiator. The low pressure side would be the one coming "back" from the evaporator to the compressor. I presume the evaporator is tucked up behind the dashboard? On both my 87 Chevy van and my 87 Dodge minivan, the low pressure side Schrader valve has -slightly- larger diameter threads than the high pressure side.
If you do the R-134a conversion that way the DOT wants you to (and the way a commercial outfit Must do it), you would buy the conversion fittings, which will screw onto the existing Schrader valves. The R-134a fittings are quite different from those for the original R-12, but they mate properly to the hose/manifold/gauge set that is designed for R-134a use.
The U.S. D.O.T. tries to make the process idiot proof - but we are way ahead of them...........

Bubba

James E Vining

I just did a Recharge on my G-Friends 89 Ford Taurus that was filled with R-12 originally but when she had the engine replaced in like 200 or so the shop ( $@!#@!  shop if you ask me and  $@!#@!  her because she was a woman in my opinion) said that the A/C units normally loose their freon even though it worked perfectly prior to engine replacement and then not at all until I recharged it, I think they disconnected the Compressor to remove/replace engine to make it easier and either did not have the ability or did not want to spend the extra $$ to recharge it.
Since I knew it was sealed the entire time I had known her and knew the compressor was not froze up( a quick test is to get a Jumper and jump the Pressure sensor so the compressor will kick on as they have a low pressure shutoff so you do not burn up compressor if nothing is in system if it kicks on and spins fine no noise or belt squeel your good) and it had 0 Pressure in the system I just bought the Conversion adapters for like $10 and the recharge system with  hose and Gauge for like $14 and now it works great and is filled with 134a, totally it cost me $24 and about 30 minutes of time.
Now I am not sure about the Old Style compressors, but did read something about older compressors need a specific oil and as long as you make sure you use that oil you system should run great with 134a