replacing fan clutch on 440-3 1977

Started by fireball440, May 08, 2009, 07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireball440

I really need some help on this one. My 1977 Apollo needs a new fan clutch. All my manuals state....remove fan clutch. That is great but how. It looks like the clutch is held on by 4 or so bolts.
are they reverse thread, it looks like I have about 3 inches clearance between the fan and the radiator.  A local shop wants over $300 to replace it. That seems like a lot of money. If  I can just get it off I know I can replace it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Elandan2

I replaced our fan clutch last year in a auto parts store parking lot in Saskatchewan.  Took about two hours.  I removed it from the top.  In our case the A/C compressor was removed because I was intending to replace it anyway, but if you unbolted it and tipped it out of the way there would be enough room.  The reason I went over the top is there are the trans cooler lines and the lower rad hose to contend with. The fan and clutch come out together then it is a simple matter to change out the clutch on the fan.  When replacing the assembly, you can put one bolt on the flange loosely and then position the fan on the flange.  After that it is simply a matter of putting the other bolts back in.   Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Mosin

While on the subject, what are the symptoms of a bad fan clutch? I assume running hot, but that could be many things, so how would one go about diagnosing the FC?

Elandan2

When using the accelerator to downshift, my engine would make a sound similar to the fan hitting something.  I would be continually checking to find the source, with no luck.  Last year, the fan clutch engaged full and that was it, it wouldn't release.  The roar from the fan when it is fully engaged is LOUD.  After I replaced the clutch, everything returned to normal.  Normally, when the clutch is going, it doesn't engage, or doesn't engage fully.  When that happens, the engine may run hot at slower speeds.  The easiest way to check it is to shut the engine off after it is fully warmed up and try to move the fan blades (remember: shut the engine off first!!).  There should be an appreciable amount of resistance to moving the fan blades, if not the clutch is defective.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck