The Mini-Grill project.

Started by DELTA912, October 17, 2013, 06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DELTA912

I've seen the 1971-1973/4 Aluminum/steel Grill for some time and liked the look. Now I own a 1975 Dodge RV with the plastic type grill, not that fancy. SOO... Why not SLAP some past factory BLING on the 1975.

After some halogen removal, and a few twists later I now have a 73 grill on my 75 RV. (Photo soon to come)

Looks like it will have more airflow as well. Plastic over the head/grill can kill a man/engine. Looks odd with DODGE on the hood and grill, Lets see who can tell me what year my RV is now...

:)rotflmao I will never tell them I changed the front end. :)rotflmao
Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

LJ-TJ

DELTA912

try that.

No.2

Yes the engine (360) is still not in the RV. Might have a 440 to use instead, so we will see.
Family Wagon by Travco!

LJ-TJ

WOW! That looks Grrrrreat.Well done. :)ThmbUp

intofire1

Oz

Like it belongs there... you could take off the DODGE on the hood & fill the holes so you don't have both...
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DELTA912

I'll leave the DODGE on the hood. I'll just look for another hood that won't have them on it. It was a direct fit. Didn't have to modify a thing, Other then the lights that where on the bumper. It looks the way I wanted it to, OLD SCHOOL!. Plus the more air flow should help, or that's the idea anyway.
Family Wagon by Travco!

LJ-TJ

Actually when I first looked at it I thought it looked great. I never noticed the hood until you pointed it out. Shoot I wouldn't change a thing unless it bugs you for some reason. I think it looks just fine. i??

Stripe

Sooo, what.....  The other hood won't fit? i??
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DELTA912

It will fit, just not that good of shape to use it as it is.
Family Wagon by Travco!

Stripe

Is it dented or bent? Or does it just need a repaint?

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DELTA912

There's a dent in the center of the hood (Off the 73). It was sprayed silver ans is otherwise fine. I think I've got a photo on my G+ account.
Family Wagon by Travco!

Oz

Put a hood scoop over the dent?

Hm?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DELTA912

Family Wagon by Travco!

Surfinhurf

Need a "Before" pic. 

I would leave the Dodge squared.

HURF

ClydesdaleKevin

Looks great!  Love the retro look!  Just saw an old episode of Mission: Impossible, and the surveillance van they were driving had the same sort of grill.  SWEET!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DELTA912

Best Before photo I have that's not on another drive.

Plus I have the "73" front bumper to use as well. Won't have the holes that where drilled to mount the lights.

The above is not My RV, but that's what it looked like when I got mine. But the paint is faded on the hood and sides.
Family Wagon by Travco!

chicknnhead

Delta912 looks great! :)ThmbUp

Not trying to hijack the thread, I just have more information to add since we are on the subject

the 73 grill is coming back, a lot of the vanners are moving away from the 74-77 plastic in favor of the 71-73 grill. the 71-73 grill has 2 versions a aluminum(sp?) one and a metal one. the metal one is nice because you can have them chromed. 71-77 also has 2 style turn signal lights, clear and amber. you can see the difference in the previous post 2 pics. the Canadian version of the dodge is FARGO. so you can change out the letters on the grill to that as well. Winnebago also had their custom version of the grill

as for the hoods, they came blank(if you got the Plymouth voyager) or with DODGE letters on them. Winnebago also made a custom fiberglass hood for their CLASS C from 71-73. they are much better quality then the after market custom fiberglass hood scoop one that I have one my rv.  the voyager also has a 3 chrome strips (2 on the front edge of the fender, 1 on the edge of the hood)

pics will help..let me check my photo bucket
here is the winne custom hood and grill, the hood is a heavy fiberglass( I have one in my attic, took me a year to find one, I think sometimes I just like the hunt). notice it has a indention or reverse scoop that is common is most dodges of that era

under side of the winne hood
as well as the common eye brows feature that WB is known for in that era

these are the 3 chrome pieces I was talking about, notice no DODGE letters and the Plymouth emblem in the grill(the emblem was 78, 74-77 was PLYMOUTH letters)
it took me about 3 years to find all three pieces that didn't have any dents in them. they are getting re-chromed and installed when the weather breaks

I personally have been looking working to change the front look of mine as well
I found the Plymouth letters off a van, and then painted them to match the my RV
donor van
also take note on the back of the hood, the small chrome strips. those wrap the whole van(only found on window vans), haven't decieded if I want to add those yet to my RV

on my rv before paint

painted

I don't have it installed yet..this spring when weather breaks along with the 3 chrome strips

again not trying to highjack, just wanted to add more info for those interested

LJ-TJ

Sweet! That was neat. Good stuff :)ThmbUp Yeah learn something new every day.