Hi Everyone! What is my camper?

Started by samskillern, June 04, 2012, 07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Hey Kev Don't hurt your arm patting yourself on the back now. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

moonlitcoyote

Hey Kev what do you mean by lugs? My winny is a chevy and it has 8 lug nuts.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Well now, before ou get all wound up, both the 84 Light Truck Manual and the GM Motorhome Service guide list 8 lug and 10 lug wheels.  8 lug used 9/16" studs.  10 lug use 5/8" studs.  8 lug is also 6" diameter.  Mill Supply even sells the 8 lug 16" rims (pdf page 33).  But the fun part is 19.5" 8 lug rims with a 6" diameter (pdf page 36; possible 17.5" alternative for the Dodge chassis).

Dave
[move][/move]

Elandan2

I see everyone is getting excited over lug nuts and such, but wouldn't the Chevy bowtie on the steering wheel and the column shifter give it away that it is on a P30.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

ClydesdaleKevin

So there could be 8 lug P30s...although all the ones I've ever seen are 10.  Good to know!  My screen resolution on my tiny computer sucks....lol

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

TommyM

The P-30s came in either 8-lugs (with rear drum brakes) or 10-lugs (with rear disc brakes), depending on the year model and GVWR.  My 1985 P-30 (the one we crashed) was a 1986 27' Chieftain with a GVWR of 12,xxx, and it had 8-lugs/rear drums.  My 1986 P-30 (the replacement) 1986 33' Chieftain has a 14,xxx GVWR with 10-lugs and rear discs.  Hopefully that helps clear up the confusion.

Tommy
'75 Midas Class C (parted out, scrapped)
'85 27' Chieftain (crashed!)
'86 33' Chieftain (sold)
'94 37.5' Elante 37RQ
Durango, Colorado

ClydesdaleKevin

Good to know, Tommy!  I totally forgot they made these things with drums as well.  Both P30s I had and have were 4 wheel disc.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

samskillern

Went in for an MOT today - not a bad fail sheet, a few bits of electrics to debug and some welding on the front bumper, and a new air bag at rear but thats pretty much it.

Found out she is getting about 6mpg though which is a little lower than expected, works out at £1 a mile  i??

TommyM

For clarity, I Googled to find that an "MOT" is a Ministry of Transportation inspection, right?  So it's what most in the US would call our "DOT" -- Department of Transportation.

Tommy
'75 Midas Class C (parted out, scrapped)
'85 27' Chieftain (crashed!)
'86 33' Chieftain (sold)
'94 37.5' Elante 37RQ
Durango, Colorado

Arberg0

as a ex brit  that has been living in the usa for almost 14 years . i can tell you the mot in the uk is nothing like our inspections over here there is a lot more to it and many cars fail it first time i was amazed when i moved to the usa to see some of the cars running on the roads here would never be aloud in the uk if you live in the usa be glad you dont have to put up with a british mot each year

arberg0
If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson

samskillern

Agree with Arberg0, I own five vehicles and getting them tested each year is a real pain, almost everything on them gets checked, the test costs about £50 and can fail on things like headlight alignment, or tyre tread depth, or even just a little bit of play in a bearing.

Its unusual to have a car pass first time, unless its newish. When you get the fail sheet you have about 10 days to get the problems fixed and then you go back for a partial retest.

I was dreading taking the motorhome in as I thought a 40 year old vehicle was bound to need some welding, so was chuffed when it was only little things, most importantly nothing needs the vehicle to be jacked up - so my pet mechanic can fix most of the problems :)

Even so, with road tax and an MOT test each year it will easily cost £300-£400 a year just to keep in legal to drive on the road :S

Doesnt help thats its costing £1/$1.50 per mile either

LJ-TJ

That's like $470.00 to $627.00 Just for the inspection. ???

ClydesdaleKevin

Wow!  And we like to complain in this country when gas reaches 3.50 a gallon...lmao!  Nevermind the inspection and registration fees!  We pay 40 bucks a year to keep the RV registered, and the state of Florida doesn't even require inspections at all.

Kev

samskillern

Hi Again all,

My mechanic is working his way through the fail sheet, but has asked me to source a part if I can so said I would ask here. I haven't taken a photo of it yet, but its clearly damaged and needs replacing - if anyone can help identify the part from the description below it would be appreciated.

It is at the rear of the engine, with vacuum type pipes attached to it, about 4-5" in diameter, and about 3" deep, a sort of rubber cone, which has a metal base plate, and a spring inside.

The cone has split so needs replacing, but what is it? and what does it do? Getting parts in UK is proving difficult as is finding someone knowledgeable about this particular engine - so any help appreciated.

Kind regards,
Sam

samskillern

Courtesy of someone on eBay who happened to have an engine bay photo, I have found a picture of the part which is split on our RV.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Perfect Circle Cruise Control Vacuum Chamber (no longer in business; parts not available).  I take it the rubber bellows has seen it's final days.
You will simply have to disconnect it.
The vacuum supply hose to it goes to the control unit mounted on the left frame rail.  You will also see 1 speedometer cable from tranny going to control box.  A 2nd one going to speedometer head.  Wiring from control box goes up to cruise control switch on steering wheel turn signal handle.

Dave
[move][/move]

samskillern

Yeah the bellow has split almost all the way round, we were not intending on using the cruise control anyway (although could have been nice) - will get mechanic to blank it off :(

Cheers
Sam