1972 Winnebago Brave D18 - RE: 318 - 2-barrel swap to 4-barrel Edlebrock

Started by SloTownJ, May 25, 2021, 12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SloTownJ

Hello Everyone, I'm wanting to improve the reliability of my 318. It idles great, and does well at higher RPM, but boggs down and almost stalls when you first accelerate. Does anyone know if there is an adapter plate that will work to bolt a 4-barrel Edlebrock Performer to my stock 318 with a 2-barrel carb? Thanks in advance for any advice! Cheers, Jeremy

Oz

Look up your carb on Summit Racing. 
I'm guessing you have an
Edl 1405, 600 cfm, manual choke, or
Edl 1406, 600 cfm, electric choke.
If you still have to use the choke knob to start it, it would be the 1405.

Anyway, it may indeed need an air space plate.  Summit, from my experience, has great customer support.

You can call and ask if one is needed.  Be sure to tell them your engine sub model number.  Should be 318-3.  That's the heavy duty model for RVs.  If you dont know, check your chassis VIN using the (Dodge) VIN decoder found on the main nav bar.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/edelbrock-performer-carburetor/part-type/carburetors?fr=part-type&SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

SloTownJ

Thanks Oz! Yeah, I looked up the engine code and it's a 318-3. I'd be at around $1000 to have my mechanic add the Edelbrock manifold and 4-barrel carb. I was looking to see if an adapter plate is made to add the Edelbrook 4-barrel to my 2-barrel manifold but it looks like this part might not be an option? I'm not looking for crazy added engine performance.... Just reliability. Do you think replacing the existing carb with your suggestions would be my best bet for reliability? I could also add electronic fuel injection... not sure how much that would be? Engine has 81K and the original owner always changed the oil and lubed yearly as I have all the records. Thanks again for any advice! -Jeremy

Oz

Upgrading to EFI would be around a couple thousand to have installed. 
Is it worth it?  That's arguable.  Yes, you don't have to use a choke to start the engine.  Will it give you more power and better fuel mileage?  No more than a properly tuned carb and ignition system.
Also, it would be impossible to get any parts for it quickly if it should fail out on the road  (MAF, etc.).

You could put a performer carb on your OEM intake. (Not sure if you need a bore adapter plate for it.)  However, to maximize use of the performer's potential,  should get the performer intake as well. 

And, I'll tell you from personal experience, I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but I installed both the intake and carb myself... successfully.  First one I ever did. No special tools needed. Save ALL that labor charge.

The result isn't making your engine into a crazy, overpowered monster.

The performer is a better version to replace the original carb.  There will be some noticeable improvement in power, but not like with the Thunder carb series. AND, your mpg won't suffer like the Thunder carb.

SloTownJ

Spoke with my Mechanic and I think we are going to just install a rebuilt 2-barrel carburetor and keep it original for now. The options I found were: 1) Same Carb Rebuild (Uremco 6-6158): $300-$350 installed. 2) Edelbrock 2176 Manifold + Edelbrock 4-Barrel Carb: $1000-$1200 installed. 3) Holley 2-barrel EFI 550-851K or FI-TECH FIF-39001 EFI + Fuel Pump FIF-50001: $2000 - $2500 Installed. Maybe down the road I'll go for option 2 or 3 or an engine swap. For basic reliability what would others do? Thanks for reading this! -Jeremy

SloTownJ

Eyez Open

tmsnyder

The Edelbrocks operate on air flow to open the secondaries.   You'll probably never get the flow needed to open them, so essentially you'll be running up hills on the primary circuit anyway.  Stick with the 2 barrel.

Oz

Guaranteed Carburators is a great company.  I lived on the same block in Florida.  Like a candy store of vintage carbs and these guys REALLY know their carbs!

SloTownJ

Thanks for the suggestions guys! BTW - My long time Mechanic now wants a 18' Brave! Called his wife to look at mine...

SloTownJ

Oz

Quote- My long time Mechanic now wants a 18' Brave! Called his wife to look at mine...

Yeah, these old Winnies have that affect on people!