First Camping trip!

Started by Randy_in_Ohio, May 08, 2012, 03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy_in_Ohio

Well, after doing all the regular maintenance and replacing the  Air ride helper springs, replacing the front brake calipers, pads, rotors, and rubber lines, loosing a hubcap $@!#@!    We finally got to take her on a real camping trip!  We went about an hour south of us to Salt Fork State Park for an overnight trip, We were going to leave Friday and stay two nights but it was raining and we weren't even packed and ready so we waited till Saturday morning.  She ran great, drove great, and it was a good time.  So much better than staying in a tent! The kids enjoyed playing games while on the road and the dogs thought they were on top of the world!  I was able to test all the systems out. no water leaks, the water heater works... life is good!  Everyone had a blast :)  I found out the cruise control doesn't work, so I need to try to figure that one out, and we made a list of all the things that we should have packed in the MH but forgot N:(    We even had a couple people stop and ask us about it. Seems like she will attract some attention at the campgrounds!  We can't wait to go again!   

Dave Burden

Making the jump from tent camping to RVing is one of those one way trips, you'll never go back.  Not sure if it was the first night we spent in our '75 Chieftain, but certainly the first rainy night really showed us how nice it can be.
ex - 1975 Chieftain 25'
1977 Tonka Mighty Winnebago 23"

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL Dave!  Unless you fulltime it in an RV, then sometimes going on a tent camping trip is pretty nice!

And Randy, usually a vacuum leak is the cause of cruise control failures...our works great in the Holiday Rambler, but I don't like using it on the RV at all...it tends to be way heavier on the gas pedal than I am, and the couple times I used it I noticed a decrease in our gas mileage.  I wish the Jeep had it though!  I love cruise control on a car!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ibdilbert01

Hey Randy, how did you guys like the Salt Fork Park?  I've worked in the area a few times but never made it over to the park!  I hear its a nice place to take a boat too!
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Randy_in_Ohio

Dave- a rainy night in the tent last year is what prompted the search for an RV in the first place! My wife told me "I am NOT sleeping in a tent next year, we need to find an RV!" so here we are!

Kev- I'm surprised the MPG is more with cruise on, always seems to help me save gas in the truck and cars, keeps me from going too fast!  It's not a big deal, but I would like it to work. I'll check the vacuum line and the fuse.

Dilbert- We go to Salt Fork often. It's our favorite local lake to take the boat to. The park is the largest state park in Ohio. has a really nice lodge, golf course, beach...  tons of wildlife, and supposedly home to Bigfoot too... and the campground is great.  Next time your in the area let me know, we could meet up down there. take ya out for a boat ride or ski/wakeboard if you want.

ClydesdaleKevin

I think its mostly because it won't pick up speed for down hills, and then floors it on the uphills trying to maintain speed...lol!  Lot more weight to pull than a truck or car.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.