Won't start, No lights - Totally dead with brand new battery

Started by calibrationtech, June 30, 2013, 11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calibrationtech

Howdy, I need help, I have a 77 Minnie Winnie thats been parked for two years. Put in a brand new battery but I can't even get headlights to come on. It acts like it doesn't even have a battery in it. It's on a dodge 1 ton chassis with a 360 engine. does it have to have the two auxilliary batteries in it, cause they are gone. Thanks for any help

Madathlon

Assuming the Batt was missing.  Sometimes its hard to tell the difference in Batt cables on these old RV.  But for the House lights Every light behind the cab/pilot area runs on the House batt not the Starting Batt. 

also the cables could be broken internally or even the starting solenoid could be bad.

I would start with a test light to see if the batt has any charge in it. then go to trace back the batter cables, There is a chance you may have connect both (+) cable and are not making a loop at all.

Madathlon
   CWO4 Motor Pool Chief (retired)
   Onan Master Installer/Service Tech
   Mercury Marine Golden Wrench
   OMC Master Marine Tech
   ASE Master Tech

calibrationtech

Thanks for the reply Madathlon, I,ll try and trace out the cables further, I metered the battery, it read 12 volts with a meter, was new right off the shelf. The only thing different from when it was parked is the two aux batteries froze and my son removed them.

M & J

Corrosion will be your biggest enemy. Trace the lines and insure all connections are clean and tight.
M & J

calibrationtech

Thanks Mike and Janie, I'll check all my connections

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

calibrationtech

To everyone that gave suggestions, thanks, it turned out to be a bad connection with a fuseable link from the battery + cable. Thanks again

M & J

Glad to know we guessed right again. Thanks for the feedback.
M & J