Keep it stock or chop it up?

Started by Doug B., March 23, 2014, 12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug B.

So whaddaya think?

I'm on the fence about how to approach this RV. On one hand I really like the restored original idea, just make everything work like it would've in 1974, and go with it.

The reality is, this coach wasn't all that great, when it is compared to RVs even 10 years newer.

If I modify it in a way that makes it a better living space and do a nice job of it, does it really hurt the value at all? A for instance is I can eliminate the generator, and reclaim the interior space for a desk/chair as well as a comfy chair for watching TV or reading. Im also considering canning the front pulldown bunk and putting a pull down flat screen in its place.

Given the time, ability and a small but maybe sufficient budget for either a rebuild or e refit, which direction would you go?

OldEdBrady

What you should do has to fit in with what you desire.  I've done both.  While maintaining the "retro" look can get some people absolutely ga-ga, leaving the exterior the same (cleaned up and repainted, if necessary, of course) while updating the interior to what you want it to be like can also have people salivating.  So, the final answer has to be, what do you really want?

Froggy1936

In my opinion Unless you have a very rare item or the first one ever made . It is a waste of money trying to restore to original that is way out dated. And the older it is the harder it is to find original stuff. That most likely will not work or will fail shortly . Even a perfectly restored old Winnebago is not considered a treasure and there is a very limited market for such an item ! Now if you barn find a 1968 Winnebago with 300 actual miles That is a different story !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Oz

There's much to be said for those who dare to venture the way of restoring these Eyebrow Winnies to their original state.  My hat is off to all of them.

However, there really is no "historical" value, other than that which lies in the hearts of us who love them.

To me, they are a blank canvass on which to paint.  A lump of clay which to mold into whatever you can imagine.

They are the epitome of personalization.   A reflection of the owner.  Make it you.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Lefty

I agree with the above posters.

While there is a limited market for antique and vintage campers and/or RV's... The reality is that it is extremely limited to a very few select brands (AirStream,Spartan,Shasta,Aljo,Aristocrat,etc...), and typically also limited to models restored to an extremely high level of restoration. Anything not restored to such a high level just cannot command the price needed to justify the costs involved. Even then, I'd venture the guess that a full 90% of the high end ones that DO sell, do so at a loss vs. the full costs involved in their restoration.
I do not mean no offense, but I highly doubt a 1974 Fleetwood Southwind is ever going to be worth enough to justify someone spending $50,000 on a restoration... So why worry about it? Do whatever you want to it that will make it enjoyable for you and your family. Spend no more on it than you are willing to lose once you are ready to pass it on to the next person. That way, when it comes time to part with it in the future, you'll have no regrets and only good memories.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...