attaching gallon gas container to fuel pump?

Started by fedcard, July 21, 2014, 03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fedcard

I need to attach a hose to the fuel pump from a gallon, but there are two intake lines to the fuel pump. Do I need to use two hoses?

This is fun!!! :)ThmbUp

Thanks,

Stripe

Two intakes?  What pump? You sure one isn't the return line??
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

fedcard

Thanks, I was just told that one is intake and the other is the return line. This is for the mechanic fuel pump. Since it has been sitting for over 5 years I figured it would be best to replace it. I just bought a new one from Federal Mogul.

Thanks,

jondecker76

My mechanical pump is the same - one line to the carb, and two from the tank (one is the fuel feed and the other is a vapor return to help prevent vapor lock)

I can't remember off the top of my head which was which, but if you follow the lines back to just behind the tranny they should connect to a 6 port selector valve (if you have dual tanks).  The vent line should be the one on the upper connections if I recall correctly

fedcard

Interesting thing is that both lead to a bypass filter each. Should the return line use a filter also?

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

jondecker76

No filter on the vent return.  The internal routing of the selector valve may be making it look that way)

An easy way to tell would be to disconnect the lines from the selector valve with the engine running.  The feed line will have a strong vacuum.

I did this to test if my selector valve was working correctly after replacing it - the engine will run for a minute or two after disconnecting the lines, so you'll have plenty of time to make the determination

cook elandan

What are you looking to do.  If you are going to use a container near the fuel pump to just run the motor you will need both lines running into the container. of the two lines the larger line is the fuel pickup and the smaller line returns fuel back to the tank.  So the larger one pulls fuel up to the carb and when the float stops the fuel the pump is still working so the smaller line (return) sends the excess fuel back to the tank.  the selector valve is set up with both lines so if using duel tanks that the fuel returns back to the tank that you are drawing fuel from.

bluebird

I agree. If you don't put the return back to the can it will pump the excess fuel back to the tank. That gallon of fuel won't last very long.