Advice on rusty LP tanks

Started by MSN Member, March 28, 2009, 07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunni

Sent: 4/15/2003

Hi all,

Just purchased a 1985 Class C and was told that there might be rust in the propane tank.  What does that mean to me as the new owner?  Is this dangerous? Is it a major fix? And where should I take it for repair?  I live in Denver, Colo.  Thank you!

bhart70

Sent: 4/16/2003

If the rust is inside the tank as you stated (I would assume it would be from condensation), it may be problematic,and subsequently dangerous, if it is extensive enough.  Being a pressurized tank, rupturing is a possibility.  I would assume if it is only minor, it could be cleaned and lined not unlike a gas tank.  You may want to contact one of those companies to see if they service LP tanks.

If it is superficial surface rust on the exterior of the tank, by all means sand and paint.  But if there is any question about the extent of the damage, I would probably replace them.  Propane isn't something I particularly care to fool around with.  Jet-propelled dragsters are fun but I would draw the line at RV's.
Looking for a D18-D20 in New England.

melyash

As we tend to think of the standard 7 gal removable tanks none of us asked, is your tank one big horizontal gray permanent one or the smaller usually painted white removable ones like a gas grill?  If the larger one that is permanently mounted, yes you will have to go to a company that can have it removed and inspected. I have no idea how much it would cost to replace it, but depending on what a company would charge to remove, empty, clean inspect, repair and reinstall, you may be better off with a new one.

This is not backyard mechanic stuff here. Get a professional involved.

Matt

Floridabaked57

Scrap it and buy a new one.

John T
'20 F-150
'06 28KRS Kargoroo
'00 Road King Classic
'21 Royal Enfield Himalayan

denisondc

Some tanks have a date code and can't be refilled after X years - a federal constraint on the dispensers of propane I think. The tanks that lie horizontally have a different expiration scheme, but since my 30 lb tanks stand up i never had to find out. About the time my old ones got rusty on the outside they went out-of-date and I had to get new ones, which also met the OPD valve requirement. One of the old rusty ones got repainted and is in use as a portable air tank now. denison

sunni

Sent: 4/19/2003

Wow, you all are awesome!  I am amazed at the wonderful feedback that I get on this site.  Everyone seems so knowledgeable.  Thank you for the info.  It will be put to good use.

Floridabaked57

Sent: 4/19/2003

QuoteI am amazed at the wonderful feedback that I get on this site.  Everyone seems so knowledgeable.

Oh geez, they can barely fit their heads in the door as it is...
'20 F-150
'06 28KRS Kargoroo
'00 Road King Classic
'21 Royal Enfield Himalayan