Spare tire mount underneath motorhome

Started by brians69d24, December 17, 2011, 07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brians69d24

My '69 has a mount underneath for a spare.  The only thing I see under mine is a long threaded rod.  The tire was missing (like everything else!) It looks like someone had torched the nut off.  Does anyone have a photo of theirs with the tire in place with all the hardware? Or is the tire just held up there with a washer and nut on the bolt?

I looked at the parts manual and there is no diagram but it mentions a carrier, strap, etc.

brian

ClassCKing

on my dodge..i have the spare tire underneath..its mounted in the space made for it..the mount has two half inch thick all thread bars that are two feet long screwed and welded to the frame on each side of the tire.there is a bar that runs to both ends of the bars and is held up by two nuts and lock washers.in doubt that this is the "right"mount but its been like that since ive had it and it works great..ill get a photo up tomorrow
fishn.hikin,etc; rvin hat

wsuggs

Brian, I have a sheet with mine that says the supplier was Glide Out Tire Carrier, Travel Accessories, ORLAND California. I'll send you a copy of the sheet when I get home. It shows the whole thing with installation instructions. The bolt broke on mine and I had to have a new bolt welded on. I don't trust it that well however it does hold the tire up.Kinda hard to get the tire up though.We have a 1978 model American Clipper which we are going to restore. We also have a 1989 Allegro which we recently bought and are getting it road worthy for this next summer. New to RVing.

Merry Christmas

Bill
William L Suggs Sr
Sheila A Suggs
USAF Retired
VietNam Veteran

Cakeman2253

One option may be to just add an actual tire holder. I have been looking at “spare tire hoist” You can find them on eBay from $20-$100, depending on the model. I was going to have a piece of 2x2 welded across the frame rails and then mount one of these. Then you can crank it down vs. crawling underneath. I run some big tire due to being 4x4, but most look like they would hold.

If this holds a Cadillac escalade tire it should hold one for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CADILLAC-ESCALADE-GMC-AND-CHEVROLET-FULL-SIZE-SPARE-TIRE-HOIST-/300638271155?hash=item45ff6ff6b3&item=300638271155&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

ClydesdaleKevin

If you are going to fabricate a spare tire mount anyway, then my personal preference would be to make it a bumper mount on the rear of the RV, just like later model Winnebagos.  Then you'll never have to crawl underneith the rig, and it wouldn't matter how big the tire was.

There are lots of pictures in the photo albums of the rear spare tire carriers that were stock on the later models.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

brians69d24

There is one at the junkyard...I could just cut the whole bumper off.

ClydesdaleKevin

I'm pretty sure the bumpers bolt on, so you wouldn't even have to cut it.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

brians69d24

It is a 73 or 74 25' and I think the spare tire mount is welded to the bumper but I can't remember.  But you think the rear bumper bolts on to the frame?

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep...I'm 99% sure the rear bumper bolts to the frame...although you might have to modify it when you install it on yours if the bolt hole pattern is different.

Kev

wsuggs

Quote from: brians69d24 on December 17, 2011, 07:04 PM
My '69 has a mount underneath for a spare.  The only thing I see under mine is a long threaded rod.  The tire was missing (like everything else!) It looks like someone had torched the nut off.  Does anyone have a photo of theirs with the tire in place with all the hardware? Or is the tire just held up there with a washer and nut on the bolt?

I looked at the parts manual and there is no diagram but it mentions a carrier, strap, etc.

brian
William L Suggs Sr
Sheila A Suggs
USAF Retired
VietNam Veteran

wsuggs

Quote from: brians69d24 on December 22, 2011, 09:32 PM
There is one at the junkyard...I could just cut the whole bumper off.
Brian I can email you the diagram of the tire carrier. I had to repair mine and haven't done any traveling with it yet.Only a page of the instructions and drawing which should go by email with no problem.

Bill
William L Suggs Sr
Sheila A Suggs
USAF Retired
VietNam Veteran