Saw an old allegro on I-85 between Montgomery and Atlanta yesterday

Started by Espiritus, May 27, 2013, 04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Espiritus

OK, just wanting to know if it was one of us that was on I-85 yesterday (Sunday, May 26) headed towards Atlanta between Montgomery and Atlanta. . .if so, why the heck didn't you let me know you were coming through!

I think it was a mid-late 80's, with a TOAD. . .

I was headed back from Atlanta, having picked up a DEMON DOG . . .I thought I picked up an Australian Cattle Dog, that was obedience trained, but when I went to get her out of her crate when I arrived home, she was a DEMON DOG. . .attacking the crate door in a very serious fashion. . .hum, and now she is sitting in the drivers side chair of the RV. . .and thinks she belongs there. . .this might get interesting.

I did find out the dog crate won't fit through the door assembled, and it is 27 inches wide. . .and the demon dog was in it, trying to eat my fingers. . .it was a rough night for all.

Now, why didn't I get a calm german shepherd to replace my great dane like those other nice Holiday Rambler folks have. . .

JDxeper

yea, but they won't herd your cattle and sheep! :)clap Even if they are sheperds i??
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Stripe

Lol..  If you need training tips just gimme a shout.  Been doing it for decades now.

I can show you how to teach "Mad Maxs'" pup to do just about anything.

Fredric
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Espiritus

So, Fredric, the only tip I need on this demon dog is how to keep my fingers out of her mouth! :'(

Actually, the second day she decided she owned the whole RV. . .and I was tolerated only because I had the food. . .we are on much better terms today. I made her work for every piece of kibble she got. There was NO pile put in front of her. . .I THREW every piece and made her find it. . .

She has been trained in GERMAN. . .let me get this straight, an Australian dog, is trained in Georgia to be a stock dog, and the commands are in German. . . I got the "plotz" and the "sitz" (spelling is phonetic) but what the heck is STAY? How about Quit? Stop? Out?

Somewhere there is a Phooey. . .but I don't know when that is appropriate. . .but I sure am feeling it!

Nope, she has to learn ENGLISH. . .

Oh, and now she is on the dash, trying to herd the passing cars. . .or threaten them, not sure which.

Stripe

Phooey is the "No" it literally means disgust or scorn.
As far as your fingers, I would say a little obedience training with a muzzle, basket type so she cannot pinch you with her front teeth. :)
Good, so Platz is "down" and Sitz is of course, "Sit", now to Fuß (foos) Which is heel if her training is consistent next Bleib (blyb) which is "Stay" unless she was taught Stopp(shtop) which is sometimes used, try each.  Now Aus is "Drop" or "Release", or the same as my "OUT!" to get my pups to drop their training aid, ball or release my decoys/perps limb or whatever they may grab. ;)  Last I use to send a K9 in to "apprehend" a suspect is Voraus which is "GO!" or "GET 'EM", here's hoping she's not patrol trained.. 

Where/who did you get her from again?? Because most dogs I know that were taught German commands are Police K9's
Here is a link to more German K9 Commands..
http://german.about.com/library/blhkommando.htm

To train her to guide sheep just use English if you want.  I trained two of my Bomb sniffing partners left and right just by pairing the Words with a tug in that direction on leash until they would do it off leash..

Hope this points ya in the right direction..

Fredric
Fredric,

Espiritus

She was owned by a schutzhund trainer, Ken Miller, out of Georgia who I respect. Not sure why he got her or why he gave her up at 2. I do know she demonstrated little respect for him, which I found interesting when I went to get her.

He is a serious trainer, and quite good at what he does. I have trained dogs in conformation (ok, beauty contests don't count), agility and AKC obedience, mainly because if it is going to live with me, we have to understand expectations. I have always had well behaved dogs and children and working/herding dogs are my preference. She is the smallest dog I have ever owned and I got her to be my chum on the sheep farm, and because my dane is 8.5 and failing. . .

This little dog is intense. Our initial thing was just miscommunication. She thought the crate was her's to protect, and I thought it was mine. We worked it out. She was not coming out of the crate until I had some means of control and she has had to work for every piece of kibble that she had gotten from me this week.

Good tip on the left/right. I am trying now to get her just to look where I point, and to LOOK AT ME when I whistle. . .that's a start. Changing her name from "girlfriend" to DiDi (Demon Dog) since she did NOT respond to it anyway.

Somehow I don't think a middle aged woman, who rides motorcycles and cut her hair off, should be out in a field yelling "Girlfriend." Might leave the wrong impression. . .

Stripe

Never been a fan of Schutzhund.
He may not have had her long and that's why she did not like her PO, and may also be why he decided to give her to you.

" I am trying now to get her just to look where I point, and to LOOK AT ME when I whistle."
On that, I would either praise or food reward her for when she looks at you. As you are already having her work for her kibble, then I would probably use that.
Good idea on the name change, LOL!.
I did the same for my Husky mix, original name was "Blaze", I changed it to "Blake", close enough to his original name so as to not confuse him too much.

I am letting him be a dog, no special training outside of SIT, STAY, DOWN, HEEL, SHAKE, SIT PRETTY(sit up and beg) and SPEAK. Oh and SHOW TUMMY..

I am also spending what free time I have teaching a Belgian Malinois mix to alert her owner to when their sugar levels get too high or too low.  At this point, I am trying to get two different alerts. Will let you know how that works out.

Fredric,

Espiritus

Hum, spent several minutes mulling over what you would use to train the Malinois. How are you going to simulate the "high" or "low" of the blood sugar levels? I know it can be done as I know there are dogs trained to alert people to imminent seizures.

Will think this over since I have a long drive today.

I could tell when my mom's sugar levels were too low from her appearance, and the KETONE smell. . .ahah! People on Adkins diets have a KETONE smell. . .so you could simulate low blood sugar smell.

High sugar? Have to keep thinking about that one.

Your Husky is being taught basic household manners. Sure wish everyone would do that with their dogs as well as their CHILDREN.

I looked at a Malinois to replace my dane. I've always appreciated their looks. There was one being given up by a trainer in Florida that is trained to Schutzhund 1 level, but is too dog aggressive for the field. I passed on him, but thought hard about it since I will only have the one dog in the rv.

I think my little DiDi is going to do fine.

Stripe

Already ahead of you there, I have "sweat" patches from Sophies' (the dogs name) owner.  One for low sugar and one for high, they both have significant enough differences to be discerned one from t'other. 
Good to hear DiDi will do good, I think any K9 can be rewired with a GOOD switch.. <looking under dog> "oh, here's the problem, this switch is set to EVIL, lemme just put it to GOOD and you should be okay..." :)
The foundation to good training is good basic obedience.

Mali's are hard wired to always please(edited) there owner/alpha and LOVE to work.

Fredric
Fredric,

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteMali's are hard wired to always lease there owner/alpha

Did you really mean "lease" or did you actually mean "leash"   :laugh:

Dav
[move][/move]

Stripe

Fredric,