My roof repair

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 13, 2008, 10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

77surveyor

Sent: 1/14/2004 10:18 PM

Hello there im just finishing up a 16 foot long section of roof replacement maybe this will be of some help from other posts it sounds like my surveyor roof is like most others 1.5 x 1.5 sandwiched by foam and 1/4 sheets of plywood with alum. on top mine was in realy rough shape , to the point that it was hanging down to the floor all materials were bought from home depot and lowes .. lowes has nicer 1/4 plywood ... from home depot i ordered a 8x9.5x1.5 LVL which is plywood laminated together to a 1.5 thickness which makes it about 10 times stronger than the standred 2x2

i cut the 1.5 stripes with a skill saw to run my cross beams and those were on 12" centers then i came in 12" from each side with cross beams after the foam rerunning the eletricial and 12 volt wireing i used lots of liquid nails pro and a air stapler to tie it all together- on the top i used a 24" wide sheet of 3/8 plywood down the center which when the skin on the top is installed will give it a "rounded" way to drain the water instead of it just sitting up there so i would have to do this all over again.

how much weight did this add ? probably about another 30 # how much stronger is it well i can set two dometic 13,000 btu a/c units on top of each other with no sag , and i wont even think what the neighbors were thinking when i was up there jumping up and down to "test" the strength :) keeping in mind the LVL is rated at 60 psi which is many times over a pine 2x2 , the alum.

i ordered through a mobil home supply store 48"x30' was $92 total costs excluding the inside ceiling finish material about $325 this is excluding  the labor of love costs . originial cost of m/h was $400 but then i found $100 stashed in a cup board from 1979 .... i hope this helps somebody else or at least gives some more insight or differant options let me know.. i still have a 8' section in the back to do so ill take pictures of that . thanks Richard 

Oz

Sent: 1/15/2004 12:21 AM

How did you get it to bow upward and what is the amount of rise at the center?  You said you did a 16' section.  Since the area you replaced has a bow, how well did it match up to the unrepaired section?  What did you use to finish sealing it all?  Are you putting an addtional coating of anything on the finished area?  Do you think the bow will cause any problem with the air conditioner seal?  Have I asked enough questions yet?

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

77surveyor

Sent: 1/15/2004 9:10 PM

on my roof the alum kinda just lays on top it is stapled to the side walls and stretched across the a/c has a 14x14 opening when i strtch the alum ill lay loose fiber insulation over the top and that will create the bow for water drainage the rest of the roof will still be flat so it will be lined up, ill seal the seams but considering that the alum if kept clean will last many years ... no problems with questions

teh 24" run down the center is giveing it that much more strength and a platform for the a/c to get rid of the future sag problems ... i took some pictures today ill try to upload them.. Richard