CB Radio To Install or NOT to Install?

Started by LJ-TJ, April 21, 2009, 09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Sent: 3/29/2006

Well it's that time of year to drag the old Winny out of storage and start getting her ready for another season of great adventures.  However does anyone have any opinon on the pro's and con's on weather it is worth while installing a CB.   If so what do you think would be the best antenas.    T.J. Oh ya and do any of you talk to each other when your heading down the road.

MSN Member

For many years I had a CB in my Motorhome but when I am traveling with grandkids I could not turn the CB on because of the immaturity of the garbage mouthed truck drivers.   They do not care what they say and believe they have the right to say it.   The usual channel to monitor is channel 19 because it has the most traffic on it.   I believe that at one time channel 17 was designated for RV radio traffic.   On the other hand....the CB is handy if you just turn it on only when you need information.   I have been stuck in traffic jams and got on the CB to ask what lane is going to be open ahead....this works really well.
I would say that the good outweighs the bad when it comes to the CB radio, especially if you only use it for emergencies.
Rick

Easy

Everybody in our group has CB's and we talk often while traveling together. It's alot of fun but also helps alot when merging or changing lanes.

The K-40 antennas are well proven for a fairly inexpensive antenna. Mine works well.

Slantsixness

Sent: 3/30/2006

I'd  like to confirm both Rick and Randy's comments...

Yes, it is a good idea to have one.
Yes, channel 19 is the only place you will find any information on the highway.
Yes, you don't want your children/ Grandkids, Wife, Mom etc. to hear Channel 19 and the Truck Drivers who do NOT have the right to use that kind of language.
Channel 17 used to be for RV traffic. It's not anymore, but I'm suprised anybody else remembers that!

When traveling in a group, CB's are very well suited for Mobile to mobile communications, and the highway reports on Channel 19 (between the swearing and noise toys the truckers use...) are very useful. Remember, there are 38 other channels you can use (channel 9 is still used for emergencies only).

Other options include FRS and GMRS radios (some require license), but you don't have the Mouthy Truckers on them, and Amateur Radio (requires testing and a license)

Also, we use the little FRS radios all the time at campgrounds, and even back and forth between Sob and I on the way to NECWJ last year Kev, Patty and us on the way from NECWJ.... between our campsite and My wifes's Grandparents... Great little pocket radios, and they can be set up to use subaudible tones for no interference!

They're cheap, too!

Tom
(I am an Amateur Radio Operator)
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

denisondc

Sent: 3/30/2006

I have a CB in my van, but not in the RV - Yet. The one in the van has saved me delay/aggravation on several occasions, some of them measured in hours. I use it maybe 10% of the time on a trip, mostly on interstates. When nearing a major metropolitan area my CB is probably on! On 2 lane roads I seldom use it because I havent found it useful. Once you are away from where the 18 wheelers are, there isnt much to hear, even on Ch. 19.
The K40 antennas work well on cars/vans with steel roofs. I don?t know how well they would work on the aluminum roof of an RV. For one thing, you would have to make a bracket to hold it. The magnetic base on my K40 wont help on aluminum. Also, aluminum doesn?t seem to be a decent ground-plane (reflector) for the antenna, only steel, or perhaps copper. There are antennas made for use without ground planes. If you go to www.firestik.com they have an FAQ section that is good reading, though naturally it tends to explain the answer to any problem in terms of their product line. There are plenty of other internet sources for CB antenna info. Try doing a google.com search using +CB +antenna +faq as the search wording. I like the url: http://www.advancedspecialties.net/cb-radio-faq.htm.
When I put an antenna on my Winnie, I want to have it mounted on a pivot, driven by an old headlamp door mechanism (still plenty of them in the junkyards) . That way I can have a 4 ft antenna on the roof, for good reception, that folds down for travelling where there are tree limbs.
Keep in mind that even a crummy antenna, mounted in a poor location might still work well enough much of the time. Everything is relative. You still need to worry about the SWR, to minimize the possibility of damaging the transmit portion of the CB transceiver.
10-4 good buddy!

mightybooboo

Sent: 3/31/2006

Ii find the CB very useful,If I fulltimed,I would get a really nice one installed.
Great for info on fuel stops in unknown territory,truckers are extremely helpful

BooBoo

LJ-TJ

OK........A CB it is. Now do I need 1 antena or two and if I was to stop into a T/A or Flying "J" what set would I pick up. By the way. Thanks for all the help.   T.J.

denisondc

Everything is a compromise with CB antennas.
The only reason for 2 antennas would be to maximize your signal (both reception and transmitted) in the directions -straight ahead- and -straight behind- the RV, but both antennas would have to mounted the same on opposite (left and right) sides of the vehicle, and properly -phased- via identical coax runs from the transceiver/splitter to the antennas. Otherwise the shape of the radiation pattern would be skewed, and you would lose some of the advantage of the pair.
Everything Is A Compromise with CB antennas.
I wouldnt bother with two antennas, since its so likely the one on the curbside of the RV will suffer from tree limbs damaging it or the mounting. I would get a single antenna, of the no-ground-plane type, and mount it at the upper front side of the RV, where the driver could see it by craning his neck out of the window. I would get an antenna,probably a top loaded design, as long as I thought I could get away with and not have it damaged vy overpasses. (Which is why I want to be able to fold it down, or unscrew it.)
The CB antenna on my van has worked fine for me, and is only 22" long. I would never recommend the combined CB/am/fm anteanns. By the way, your regular am/fm antenna should not be close to the CB antenna if you can avoid it - the opposite side of the RV would be good: but everything is a compromise.
The CB unit to buy: My advice would be to avoid the cheapest, and the most expensive. I havent heard much SingleSideBand on CB, so would not want to pay much more for that feature. The ones with chrome knobs look nice.

DanD2Soon

This antenna configuration is no Pro-Talker setup but it "hears" well, "talks" about a mile, & is protected from tree damage. Suits us fine. Coaxial cable "feed" hole had to be oversized to allow connector to pass through it - sealed with Duct seal / Mastic putty. Antenna is tied off with a black Ty-Rap fed through a plastic sleeve - keeps antenna from "tapping" on the window or the mirror in the wind. (White or other color Ty-Rap will do, but deteriorate with UV exposure quicker than black ones designated for exterior use.)

http://rides.webshots.com/album/552090905lNAoWW

dankoozer

As an ex-trucker I would by all means suggest a CB in a RV. While it?s true there are many jerks out there on the CB, its benefits outweigh the detriments. Road reports, ?smoky? reports and just talking to interesting people is a great way to pass the time.

In fact I?m in the process of installing 2, yes, two, CB?s in my D23. I got in the habit of installing two CB?s when I drove truck (eighteen-wheeler).

It?s great having a spare system in case one fails (usually it will be the microphone or microphone cord that fails). It is convenient to have two systems because this would enable one to listen to the ?trucker?s channel (Ch 19 everywhere but West Coast where it?s Ch17) and be able to keep in touch with traveling companions in other vehicles.

CB radios are quite cheap now and used radios are even cheaper so cost isn?t a big factor.

I?ve tried single antenna systems and I?ve tried dual antenna systems and I don?t think that a dual antenna system is all that much better. I agree with denisondc about a top loaded antenna being best. I have two Shakespeare 173?s (about 4? long, and top-loaded) that I got on ebay several years ago. In my opinion these are the best antennas around. Don?t think they are being made anymore.

I don?t want to drill a hole through the coach wall for the coax (antenna wire) so I?m planning on drilling a hole through the window. Sounds weird but I think it will work quite well. I have a diamond drill bit for drilling holes in glass and have drilled many holes in bottles. I?m thinking of drilling the hole(s) in the upper forward corner of the driver?s (and passenger?s window) as near to the top of the mirror as possible.

I also picked up a splitter that allows you to use the CB antenna as an AM/FM antenna. You can?t use an AM/FM antenna as a CB antenna but with this splitter you can use the CB antenna, as it?s intended AND use it for receiving AM/FM signals on the ?play? radio.

Look for my ?handle? on the back window of my ?Particle Board Palace?.

My ?handle? is Superstar; sometimes I go my ?Two Bit Gigolo? though.

Dan Koozer

Cooneytoones

Sent: 4/1/2006

Personally, I don't like to be on a long distance drive without one.....the reason truckers moved to channel 19  from channel 10 was due to bleed over on channel 9 which is the emergency channel only,  ALL State Police Agencies & Highway Patrols (in all 50 states) monitor channel 9, so do most state REAC groups (usually ham operators) that can make an emergency phone call for you from a land line phone. We all know how reliable cell  phone service is...      ....................................................................................NOT

Especially in any mountains or rural areas, a CB can be a good friend in an emegency situation....It's also good for keeping you awake on a long nites drive while everyone else is sleeping.

JMO

Timmy

Slantsixness

Sent: 4/3/2006

Dual antennas do nothing more for you than smack tree limbs.

At one time, I had 6 antennas on my truck, but they were for 4 different amateur bands, one K40 and the AM/FM radio antenna.

Now I use a triband antenna for three Bands, and a shakespeare top loaded 6ft fiberglass for HF and CB with a tuner. Still have 3 antennas, but it's easier than trying to combat the SWR ratios and groundplane and directional effects of 4 antennas on a truck roof...
(keep in mind that most of the amateur (not the CB) gear is 50-200 watts, so RFI is a big issue for me, along with swamping and burning out the receiver front ends.)

Use 1 antenna. fiberglass, and preferably Firestik, K40 or Shakespeare. K40 has a unique ferrite slide adjustment for SWR. Works really well, and they seem to be the most broadbanded for coverage of other frequencies (12m,10m, CB) with minimal tuning effort. Receive gain on the K40 is fantastic, considering the shorter antenna length.
Don't misinterpret the Fiberglass K40 whip for the original K40 trun mount antenna, which uses a steel whip... that one will not do well on a motorhome (no ground plane).

Single Side Band radios? Not for the "technically challenged" operator. On CB, Sideband radios are impractical to use for normal (local) communications. Sideband is used primarily for longer distances, or long distance Rag chews. Mostly, just operating SSB is a great difficulty for the novice operator, but you will get the hang of it if you want to.

FM. "FM" radios (narrow band) are illegal in the US, however they are readily available, along with other illegal radios and modified amateur radios used in the 26.965-27.405 Mhz (CB) band. FM is legal in some other countries, though.
(and anybody who has used a CB extensively has bought and used "illegal" CB radios, but you do risk getting caught....someday.....maybe... I never have...yeah, right!)

I'm on the radio almost as often as I'm on CW, sometimes concurrently.

When I'm traveling, I'm on ch 19 as "Troubleshooter" if the CB's on. Mostly you can find me on your local 2m or 70cm repeater, or on 146.520 simplex as Kd4yco.  But I'll answer anywhere to just 'Tom'...!

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

drummertom

Sent: 4/13/2006

I too have decided to put a CB in Daffy Duct (Tape). Does anyone have any sugestions as to how to mount an antenna and the get the cable into the cab? I have a mirror mount antenna. Pictures would be great. Thx.
Tom
"Well my time went so quickly. I went lickity spickly out to my ol' 55"

MSN Member

Sent: 9/4/2006

Yup, CB it is on long hauls. Traffic information, and smokey help when I'm in something that can go over the speed limit. Ironically the trip we made in Sir Gasalot was the first time I was at or below the speed limit for 600 miles , probably ever.....

For those that have sensitive ears on board, kids or the Admiral, I use a headset. (Listen only....) I took a free airplane headset, you know the one with the plug with the two 1/8" mono jacks, and the two ear pieces that clip onto your ears. I amputated one jack, and cut off one ear piece. (Make sure you cut the plug and earpice that correspond....) I plug it in the aux speaker outlet of the CB......The "conversation" is just in my left ear, the RV is filled with pleasant music....

Oz

Sent: 4/13/2006

The CB antenna cable on the Winnebeast was run through a hole and grommet in the body at the top base of the rear view mirror.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

RayCameron

We have a CB but I can't get it to work. The sound it makes comes though the radio and the radio has to be set a certain way to get even that. I kept listening to it one time for about an hour and nothing came though. Made quite a few " test 19's " but could not get anyone to answer. Still we were at home and miles from the freeway so that may also be whats up. It has two antennas one on each side up front and bracketed to the top sides. The PO has a huge box next to the CB he said was a booster amp of sorts but I don't know if it is working either except that the lights come on when I turn them on. I don't even know if it's legal as he said it made a strong signal. I know there is the nob to turn to reduce the noise so that only when someone was talking it would come though and that works so I get static. when I press the button to talk the squelching stops just as if it was transmitting so it may very well work. The antennas unscrew and that's what I do when I cover it in storage.

Froggy1936

Ray, You probably will not get much radio traffic that far from the freeway (only a few truckers have overpowered CB sets which I believe are illegal with FCC. Read your manual. Also Dan i don't think you can drill thru tempered glass (if you disturb the surface it will crumble all holes in tempered glass are drilled before tempering)  Now if its laminated safety glass you can drill it.   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ibdilbert01

I know in the world of aquariums you cannot have a tempered glass tank drilled.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!