Choosing a New Awning

Started by MSN Member, February 16, 2009, 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 4/2/2008

Hi Everyone-

As you can see, I am a very new member and know little to nothing about winne's or motorhomes in general.  My husband and I are purchasing a 75 brave!  We are very excited, however being as we have to "road trip" to get our new rig, we don't have it yet.    but!!  I am compiling a list of things I would like to do once we do get it home.  The first thing I want to add is an awning.  I am looking online, but every one I see is all fancy and very expensive.  What is your advice on awnings?  brands?  types? general install advice? resources?

thanks much- glad to be a new cw member 

Amanda

Oz

Sent: 4/3/2008

There are many RV salvage places you can check for used awnings.  Several are listed in the Resources side-bar options.  I would also recommend Sands RV in Ohio.  I believe they still charge $20 a foot and all in excellent condition.

Carefree is one of the most popular brands.  I have one on my RV but, barring any rebuttal from other members' experiences, all brands are pretty much the same.  I would say that any quality difference would lie in the awning material durability ratings.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

denisondc

I would agree with pharaoh's post. I think all of them are really designed to be opened-out and closed-up with two people doing the work.
We had an awning that we didnt bother to close-up when a thunderstorm swung by in Macungie PA - and ripped it off the side. That was in the 80's and we never replaced it.

LJ-TJ

I have to agree with SOB if you are handy to Sands RV they are really great folks to deal with and have the best prices around and instalation as well. All things  going in our favor we will be having them install one on our rig this year.

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 4/5/2008

I've had 2 A&E (Made by Dometic) awnings so far, and both were great...the first one be bought new for the Ark, and the second is the original from 1977 that is still on Excalibur.  We will eventually upgrade it to the largest awning that will fit on Excalibur, but I'll be buying another A&E!  Easy to operate (1 person can do it once you get the hang of it), and durable in the wind...although we do use 3 sets of deflappers...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Sent: 4/5/2008

The Carefree awning I have is only about 4 years old.  It is easy for one person to set-up and stow-away.... (Like Kevin in the Navy).

Also, good point... the anti-flappers.  Get them.  They will save you from getting tears along the awning fabric edge at the roof!  You can get them fairly cheap at Wal-Mart.

Also, you can pay stupid money for the awning anchors or....

Buy two or four dog chain anchors; the kind you screw into the ground.  Get the same number of 1" ratchet straps and medium gauge, 3" or 4" springs.  Attach the springs to where the dog leash would connect on the anchor scres and crim them on.  Run one "S" hook of the ratchet strap through the other end of the spring and the other to your awning corner.  The spring allows for some movement of the rig.  This set-up will keep your awning secure in substantial winds.

At a campground in Gettysburg, I put this to the test.  We had a storm move-in very quickly and I would have had to scramble to get the awning stowed.  The winds were 35 -45 mph with gusts up to 60.  The Winnebago rocked, and I stood at the kitchen window the whole time... watching the awning and anchors.  The storm blew through in 20 minutes and the awning stayed perfectly in-tact.  The springs are important.  You don't want the anchors to make the awning frame rigid.  Had I not put the springs on, the awning frame bases would have easily pulled-out from body of the rig.

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 4/6/2008

Great advice from the Pharaoh!  Never used the hold downs, but the deflappers are invaluable.  We also always put the legs down whenever we use the awning (we detach the feet from their brackets on the rig, swing them out, and make sure they are perfectly versicle), and stake them to the ground with tent stakes...the ones that look like large nails with green plastic hoobies that they sell at Wallyworld.  This makes the awning much more stable, and you won't hit your head on the legs that stick out at a 45 if you don't detach them and stake them down...lol!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Sent: 4/7/2008

Amen, Kevin.  Been there, done that...  way too many times.   Finally, when I knocked the gay hat right off my slow-to-learn head, I said, "I'm gonna start putting the awning legs down!"  Then, after I ran into one while talking to someone over my shoulder and just about collapsing the whole awning, I said, "I'm gonna start staking those legs down!"

See... you can teach dumb dogs new tricks.

MSN Member

Sent: 5/3/2008

go to trailer parks where people put add a rooms or small additions on their trailers. that is where i got my awning and hardware. i paid about $200.00 for it. it was used but very little and i had my choice of about 25 different awnings. most parks do the work for their tenants and they give the awning and hardware to them to dispose of. they sit in storage if the site owner can turn it into some tax free cash all the better.

i have a line on some re covers that are very good quality and fairly inexpensive. i will hook anyone up who needs it.

Cooneytoones

Sent: 5/12/2008

The Camping World Superstores (there are several around the USA) usually have some in stock (they carry several different brands) if you can visit one, they will explain all the workings and show you good to better and the difference between them. Even if you don't buy, you will learn. Here's some of what they carry.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/categories/index.cfm/Outdoor-and-RV-Accessories/Outdoor-Store/RV-Awnings--Accessories/deptID=1:catID=363:src=brsq

Join the Presidnt's Club, Members get a good discount, and something you always need is usually on sale.Their prices for President Club members are reasonable at sales times, they also give a great warranty on all awnings.

Great Advise from The Pharaoh....especially the springs, use springs! My awning was down, tied (without springs) using straps attached on both ends, a gust of wind moved it enough to bend the bars ever so slightly, now it is inoperable and must be replaced.

Timmy

RayCameron

We only took our awning out once and it took all three of us. LOL.... we had no instruction, it was cold and dark... Still managed to get it down. It is very heavy aluminum but don't know the name of it.... BTW... what is a anti-flappers??? Some sort of attachment I gather to keep it stable in winds... They just hook on the sides or make an X??? Ray.

ClydesdaleKevin

Deflappers are rubber-lined clamps with big knobs that your actually clamp down to the loose side fabric on your awning.  A velcro strap holds the loose fabric tight by going through the clamp and then around the upper side rail of your awning.

We use 3 sets, for a total of 6, 3 per side.  They come in pairs and cost around 9 dollars a pair at Walmart.

Kev

RayCameron

Nice. Those do look useful. I need a way also to make our awnings quiet while driving down the road. They are made of metal on metal so clatter somewhat when driving. Maybe I can put some material inside when I put them away or put some sort of clamp to keep them from clattering while moving.

Oz

I use two velcro straps, one high and low on each upright support, roughly equidistant from the awning's travel snap strap, while traveling.  This eliminates the play and clatter as well as prevents the awning from possibly becoming disloged and unfurl at highway speeds, which has happened to a couple members in the past.

You can see the upper velcro strap location in this photo:

ClydesdaleKevin

On the A&E awnings, if you hold the rails together and tighten the black plastic knobs really tight, it eliminates the rattling.  Also, you should be tightening these plastic knobs anyway before travelling, since they are a backup to the little metal swing-down clips...the last thing you want is for your awning to unfold on the highway.

Kev

89Elanden

Ray if you've had problems raising or lowering, there is a switch(for lack of a better term)if your awning is like mine,on top of the awning, cab end, you need about a 3ft pole with a hook on the end, hook this switch and pull down, that disengages the spring so the awning can be easily pulled down, If it's rattling while travelling you may not have latched it in, once rolled up you need to pick straight up on the arms, and it will kind of roll up another inch or so and latch in place.
Rick.