Waste Burner on 86 Chieftain???

Started by chieftain31inPA, May 21, 2009, 03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chieftain31inPA

Hi Everyone - I bought an 86 Chieftain in November of last year.  Unfortunately I've put more mileage on it with a tow truck than I have under its own power...the person I bought it from installed a new oil gauge and ran the feeder tube across the exhaust manifold.  Needless to say the tube melted two days after I bought the Winnie.  The oil quickly drained and the engine ceased.  It now has another new engine and while the work is not yet complete, we did start the new engine for the first time last night.  We have a handful of other "challenges" to tackle yet but I am confident that we will be traveling soon!

My reason for posting here is there appears to be some sort of burner mounted to the rear bumper of the home.  It also seems as though a rubber gas line runs to the burner.  There are no switches to turn the unit on and off (that I can find) and I haven't a clue what it is for!  A friend who has owned many motorhomes has told me that it is there to burn off waste from the black water tank.  Can anyone verify this for me?

Thanks in advance!!!!

Oz

Yes, there are definitely such things as black water waste burners and the set-up sounds like one.  To verify, there should be a feed line from the black water tank.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

The_Handier_Man1

Have you looked at the brochure on the Winnebago site?  My computer is so slow I have a hard time looking at it.  Then again you might watch the movie "RV" to see how "not" to use it, lol.  Les
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/1986/pdfs/winnebago/86-Chieftain-bro.pdf

chieftain31inPA

Thank you both!  I've reviewed the brochure and unless I missed it, I can't find anything in there about it.  I am hoping to have the rig back from the mechanic by the end of the weekend...and will check it out then.

If anyone can give me information as to how to operate it I would be very grateful!