Check your radiator overflow reservoir

Started by HandyDan, March 27, 2014, 05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HandyDan

With Spring just around the corner for some of us, (will it ever get warm?) now is a good time to check a few things out.  One that often gets overlooked but is extremely important is the rubber tube that is inside the radiator overflow reservoir.  If yours is cracked or split, like this one, it is not working properly and is affecting your radiator temperature.  Coolant is going in but not being sucked back out as the engine cools.  It is probably just going on the ground.  Give it a check, it only takes a second, and replacing is simple. 

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

DonD

My OF tank is getting brittle and was leaking. I carefully put in a heavy plastic bag to line the tank..fold the open end of the bag over the opening, insert the tube/cap. It's been good for quite a while now.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

moonlitcoyote

Good advice, I never would have thought to check that......

PS. I LOVE your mickey mouse watch!!!

HandyDan

I got the watch from DisneyWorld many years ago.  Since I used to teach school, it was a conversation piece with little kids.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

I had to replace the bottle on mine last summer...it just gave up the ghost one day and cracked all by itself and started leaking everywhere.  Got a universal one from AutoZone, and it actually bolted up to the original bolt holes with a little bending of the wire basket it came with to hold it.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Elandan2

Since the Dodge motorhome overflow containers have been made of unobtainium for many years, I changed ours with a small plastic gas can.  I mounted it on a battery tray with a strap and then mounted the battery tray in the same location as the original Dodge overflow.  It has been on there for about 15 years without any problems.  I used a gas can figuring that if I had to replace it, there would be an ample supply anywhere.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TripleJ

Good post after reading this I went outside and found the hose was missing ???

Easy fix, and one less thing to cloud over my upcoming shakedown run.  :)ThmbUp
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

Stripe

Thank you cirlcleD for repointing me to this article..  I TOTALLY forgot about it and did not seem to find it in a search.. My brain is finicky lately!

Now I can go out and see if my hose fell off into the tank, or if I should just go get a new one.
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28