Building a spare tire carrier

Started by moonlitcoyote, December 01, 2012, 03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

if there is I havent found one, I have been to the junkyards around here looking for an awning but they dont have many rvs at all and never seem to have parts. I wish they would allow you to go in and look.

ClydesdaleKevin

Not extremely far away from you in Bunnell, Florida, is a HUGE RV junkyard...just take I 95 south to the Palm Coast/Route 1 exit...right below Jacksonville.  Just come off the exit and keep going straight on Route 1 and you can't miss it!  About 5 miles or so down the road.  They are on the right side of the road, and you'll see acres and acres of poor old classic and vintage RVs just sitting packed cheek to jowl, and some even stacked up on each other.  Its called John's Auto Salvage, and they have hundreds of old RVs and Winnies.  Its a u-pullit type place and very affordable.  Its where I got the tire carrier for our old Itasca (and many many other parts), and they had more when we were there a few years ago.  That's the closest one to you that I know of, since you aren't too far from St. Mary's, GA.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Not MUCH farther than that, in Alachua, Florida (near Gainesville) is Bob's RV Salvage.  We have gotten a lot of parts from them as well, and they have a lot of RVs in the scrapyard as well.  Its a u-pull-it type place, but they also have shelf upon shelf of already pulled items...they are also very affordable.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

moonlitcoyote

Hm, thats 3.5 hours 1 way. I may look into taking a trip down there if I can find a place to stay over night with the baby and also find a zoo or something to take him to while there. Thanks for that info kev, you wouldnt happen to have phone numbers would you?

Wantawinnie

Spent quite a few days wandering John's Auto Salvage back when I lived in St. Augustine, Fl years ago. I wasn't into RV's at the time but got quite a few Dodge parts out of there for decent prices.

Oz

Quote from: moonlitcoyote on December 05, 2012, 12:38 AM
I may look into taking a trip down there if I can find a place to stay over night with the baby and also find a zoo or something to take him to while there.

You didn't realize?  You're already in a zoo!  Kevin's pen is the third one on the right, next to the OldEdBrady exhibit...
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

JDxeper

I rember someone mention a great place for RV salvage in Alabama, I believe in Addison.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

i?? Hey Mark, Don't we have or didn't we a one time keep a list of Magic Junk yards

Oz

That's correct.  We do have them in the Resource List in the Member Area.  However, it isn't all inclusive.  They're mostly the major ones.

That's also correct, JD.  It was Addison in Alabama, there's also another one in north Alabama - Arlington RV.

Here's all I could come up with for Georgia:

All-Rite Georgia 2580 Jeremiah Ind. Way Conyers, GA 30012
1-800-642-9988 This is a new part manufacture/dealer location
Collision-repair parts for all types RV exteriors.
Entry Doors, Windows, compartment doors, siding, etc

Georgia Used Camper Parts, Loganville, GA 30052   Cary Gauntt, Owner 678-898-8854 georgiausedcamperparts.com    Holiday RV Super Stores Inc. Forest Park, GA
1-404-362-9559 Specializing in vintage Airstream and Holiday Rambler parts
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

moonlitcoyote

LJ, I notice there are 2 bolts going into the back of the tire, can you show me how they are holding it?

Hm, and I just had a thought, my ladder may be in the way.

LJ-TJ

If you like I can get some other pictures but the bolts go through the flat stock and are welded at the back. The wheel lug hole just slides on to the bolt and the nut is then screwed on. There are two bolt one top and one bottom. Yeah it looks like you might have to mount yours just a little to the left to miss your ladder. Hm?

moonlitcoyote

oh, from the picture it looked like the top bolt goes through a lug hole and the bottom bolt looks like it goes in the middle of the tire... I am taking your pics to a cousin that owns a metal shop to see what he can do to make me one. I'll let yu know if I need anything else. Thank you.        MJ