Need ideas for modification, please.

Started by joanfenn, March 31, 2014, 07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joanfenn

OK. we are trying to decide what to do with the motor home.  I don't like pulling a trailer behind it when we take our quads with us so we think that if we modify the MH by cutting off the back right at the bedroom and building up the floor so we can carry both quads on there, that would solve the problem.  We cant move the water tank which of course is under the bed so if we left it where it is, build the new floor over it for carrying the quads, we could turn that into extra storage.  We have the flip down couch up front we could sleep on so we don't really need a big bed in the back taking up all the room.  Probably be more weight fully loaded but could solve that by adding a tag axle to the back for more support.  Or I wonder if it would be better to just cut an opening in the back and putting a ramp in there for loading and unloading.  Would make it a bit tight though because with the height of the new floor there wouldn't be too much headroom when we are loading/unloading the quads.  Or would a winch work here?  Just winch them in place and then the headroom would not be too much of a problem.  Oh, I don't know.  I am getting a headache trying to think this out.  You guys have any thoughts on this?

circleD

Can the quads go in from the side at the rear instead of from the back? That way you keep the back support strong and stock and you could then cut out a ramp door on the side if it's wide enough. Either way I would use a winch from experience so you don't have to worry about falling off the ramp or hitting your head. As for using a tag axle, utilizing a mobile home axle with the lugs and not the standard wedges will hold alot of weight and most of them have electric brakes already on them.  i??

DaveVA78Chieftain

Looking at your pictures in the gallery:

1. With that long rear overhang it looks like you already have a sag in the rear.  Your going to have to do suspension work even if you do not install a tag
2.  Generator is mounted on left rear which would have to be moved for driver side access door.
3. Awning comes paste rear window, which would have to be removed for a passenger side access door.  Awning may have to be either have to be removed or replaced.
4. Spare tire would have to be relocated for a rear door.  Also removable ladder.

Loosing those beautiful eyes?  Deal breaker :)

Dave
[move][/move]

Stripe

I dunno about the rest o the stuff, but the awning can easily be shortened with a hacksaw, needle nose pliers, drill, sewing machine that does edging and a bit o elbow grease. Oh, and a screwdriver or two as well..

Muahahaha!!!
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Thundercloud

Another idea..... You could put a Draw Tight tow reciever on the front of the motorhome and one on the back if you don't already have one and get yourself a welder and sone metal and weld yourself a detachable cage so you could put one quad up front sidewayss and one in the rear. Hm?
Independence, freedom and determination!!!

M & J

I pull a 16'  tandem trailer hauling the buggy with our MH Ms. Joan. Please dont try to make your classic a toy hauler.
M & J

davecaprita

Give this plan a lot of thought and when you think you're ready, think about it some more.  Once you modify your MH by cutting off the back right at the bedroom you can't "uncut" your MH if it doesn't turn out like you thought it would.  An old vet told me once that "if you can't make it look like it came that way, don't do it".  Good luck either way. 

joanfenn

Dave, with the raised floor, I am hoping that the generator would be cleared so we wouldn't have to move it and also there are air bags that raise the back of the motor home when we start it  It settles back down once we are parked, which makes leveling the fridge a pita.

joanfenn

OK here are my thoughts on all the ideas I got.  Well, forget it................

APRIL FOOLS

Stripe

Fredric,

M & J

M & J

DaveVA78Chieftain

:)clap   1 for Joan!  Plop.    :)clap

Add another prankster to the growing list of pranksters!
[move][/move]

M & J

But Dave, she has powers. Told me that herself.
M & J

circleD

N:(  I was hoping to actually help someone to modify their classic camper to fit their life style  :(

circleD

Nah! Just kidding  ;) . Good one joan  :)clap

Oz

Looks like Joan pulled one over on us pretty good!

I guess we'll just have to start calling her....

:)rotflmao    JoanFUNN!     :)rotflmao
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Stripe

Fredric,