Another mystery, AKA is this stock or a hack?

Started by CapnDirk, January 13, 2017, 03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnDirk

Working on another mystery and not sure if this is OE.
I have dual roof air with the switch to the left of the one photo selecting rear, front, or front for both.  Supply to the back of the selector switch comes from the power center, and two outgoing lines.  One line goes to the cavity behind the fridge and up.  Seems normal.  The other outgoing line goes to the small junction box which is just a pass through splice then into the larger box with a on/off/on wall switch, then out and up the same way

Where it gets odd is that the third line in that box goes through the floor to what you see in the second pic.  A single breaker, and to a covered male 110 plug.

My best guess is that they rigged this to accept a second shore cable, and the switch next to the furnace supplies the AC by selecting either that second shore cable or the house supply from the power center.

For all I know this was OE (I doubt it), or a known common hack to get the load off the power center.

Thanks for any insight. 
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteWhere it gets odd is that the third line in that box goes through the floor to what you see in the second pic.  A single breaker, and to a covered male 110 plug.

No, not OE.  Was an add on to overcome the issue that 30 amp Shore Power is not enough to run 2 AC's.

OE:
Shorepower Connection: Can only run one AC at a time (Front or Back).  This limitation is why the 2nd Shore Power circuit connection was added.

Generator: You most likely have at least a 6K generator.  It has 2 output circuits.  One circuit is used as a substitute for the regular Shore Power connection.  The other circuit is used to power just the 2nd AC.
[move][/move]

CapnDirk

That's interesting.  I have a 4K generator, so what you are saying is that from the factory, this rig was not capable of running both roof air units at the same time, or you would run one on shore power and one on generator if you wanted both.

I guess I'll tidy it up, and leave it, but will confirm one or two circuits from the generator.  Schematic that i looked at yesterday did suggest that one AC unit was powered by the generator.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"