1989 454 Vapor Lock Issues...and what I did..

Started by Tim Traveler, June 29, 2014, 11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Really sorry to hear this.  It must be frustrating as heck.  And there's no problem with giving a negative opinion on a product based on personal experience or known poor performance.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

M & J

??? Airtex was what I put on Betty when fuel was pouring out of the original.
But it was Sunday morning on the 4th of July weekend.
Maybe I should call my buddy that manages the parts dept. at the GM stealership and have him order in the OEM pump. $47 IIRC.
M & J

circleD

$ vs. Hassle free. Or pay a little and have a lot of high blood pressure.  i??

Or if you get an electric motorhome you wouldn't have to worry about a fuel pump  :)rotflmao

GONMAD

Hi Guy's  Regarding the in tank electric pumps... been thru it ALL!! The 'EXPENSIVE' OER pumps are OK. I found that the BOSCH pumps are GEROTOR design & THE way to go, They're about $85.00. I've had absolutely no failures to date. I have been running one in my truck around 5 years now it works great! I lost plenty of money with the Airtex brand "giving them one more chance" never again.  The Airtex pumps really are NOT acceptable under ANY circumstances.

circleD

I am on the fence about Airtex. I have used them due to availability and price but I use that stuff on none essential vehicles such as ATV and rail buggy. I don't think I would use them on a possible stranded 10,000 pd plus vehicle in the middle of no where. But sometimes there is a diamond in the ruff.

M & J

You have a buggy D?  Us too. Thats why we got the MH so we could camp and ride. Sweet!
M & J

Tim Traveler

I have an AC Delco pump on it's way from Rock Auto.  After I ordered it, I noticed the AC Delco has the same part # as the Airtex - I called them right up and the guy at Rock Auto said that 'no, it's not the same pump, but that the Airtex was modeled after the AC Delco.'  I think I almost had a heart attack, nervous breakdown and a conniption when I first saw that same  $@!#@! part number! 

Note to self:  just because it's cheap, doesn't mean it's a good deal! 

circleD

Well! You get what you pay for. And sometimes you don't  :)rotflmao

legomybago

QuoteThe engine was acting the same way it did before I replaced the pump - no power, would barely idle, almost didn't make the hill to get home - it acted like it was running out of gas.  I checked the fuel pump pressure, and again, it wouldn't hold.  (I have also checked the electric fuel pump/regulator and it pumps to 8psi like it's supposed to do). 

Im lost on this? You said your electric pump is putting out 8psi? Why arent you getting fuel then? Hm? Your electric pump will flow right through your mechanical pump up to the carb.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

Or into the crankcase if the diaphragm is broken.