After Market Gauges?

Started by LJ-TJ, March 12, 2013, 11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Have we ever had a good discussion on after market gauges? I don't think so. I've been looking to re-do or customize the dash in my 1975. Seems like half the gauges don't work plus now with the 440 I want to see whats going on from Trans temp to water temp to Oil pressure and oil temp. I've checked into Auto Meter but holy cow there not cheap and once you buy the gauge for a $100+ dollars they still want you to buy the sending units on top of that. Any body got any thoughts on a gauge that might be just as accurate but a little more frugal. Hm?

ibdilbert01

Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Oz

Here's a topic posted by Lefty on VVO aftermarket gauges:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,2073.msg2941.html#msg2941

I'm sure he can elaborate more here on the set he installed.  Gave them quite the rave review.  Maybe he even still has the pictures.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

I used Black 7 color version form Glowshift.   Only thing I do not like about that version is they are difficult to see in the day time.

Small Sun Tach
Glowshift Water Temp (sensor included)
Glowshift Oil Pressure (sensor included)
Glowshift Vacuum Gauge
Glowshift Wideband O2 Sensor (to bright at night.  Had to install a sun filter to dim it) Sensor included.
Glowshift Tranny output temp (input to trans cooler) Sensor included
Off brand Tranny input Temp (output of trans cooler)

I mounted everything except the Tach in two 3 gauge pods on top of the dash

Glowshift also has a $65 Electric Fuel Pressure gauge with remote sensor included.  I think that is the cheapest I have ever seen.

Dave
[move][/move]

Wantawinnie

I am looking at using Autometer GS gauges. They are a real close match to the style of the Custom dash in my Cheiftain. Since mine are for the diesel swap a pyrometer gauge, boost gauge, and transmission temperature gauge are the plan. A little less than $80 each for the boost and temp gauge with sensors. The pyrometer is a whopping $200 though. :(

LJ-TJ

Hey Mark thanks for fixing the post. Hey Dave you got a picture of the finish project. Thanks gang :)ThmbUp

DaveVA78Chieftain

Drivers View

Inboard Set

Outboard Set
(You can see the filter I had to place on the Wideband gauge)
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Awww I see what you mean. Thanks for the picture. I was thinking of Equus gauges but can't seem to find any reports on there accuracy. 

Lefty

I got Marks message about this post,
Here's the story...

At the time, I had purchased a D-18 "Shorty", and the dash had been removed,wiring totally butchered, and no telling what was missing or damaged. Since I was working at Napa at the time, I got any parts I bought at cost+10%.. a signifigant savings. I ordered a full set of VDO Cocpit Series gauges, Speedometer w/trip odometer, Water Temp, Trans Temp, Oil Temp,Oil Pressure ,Fuel Level ,and Ammeter . I also purchased all the needed fittings,adapters, and sending units.

I spent a little over $400 for the whole package, and the primary reason I selected the VDO Cocpit gauges was because they are known for accuracy and reliability. A secondary reason was they were one of the few styles that offered all the gauges I was wanting in a matching style... Most others offered some, but I would have had to get the rest in another style to complete the set.

I made a custom aluminum dash panel to mount the gauges in, and mounted the gauges into the panel. But I never installed them into the rig. It was too far gone for me to spend money on, and I sold it...but kept the gauges.

I tried for a while to sell them on the site to other members, but never got any serious bites.  I eventually sold them to a friend of my brother-in-law for $300

I do still have pictures of the setup, but they are on my old Dell and it's packed up in a box in my storage building...I'll drag it out sometime this week and pull them off it for you.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

thisoldhippy

Was wondering why you need a boost gauge?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Wantawinne is doing a 440-3 to diesel conversion (http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,6699.0.html).  The boost gauge is used for the turbo used on the diesel.

Dave
[move][/move]

Wantawinnie

Dave,

Could you let me know what temps you are getting on your transmission from the gauge in the output line?

Thanks

DaveVA78Chieftain

I do not have a transmission cooler section in my radiator to keep the  tranny temp up to engine temp so most of the time it is less than 140 on the output of the cooler.  It gets up to around 180 when going up a long hill.

Dave
[move][/move]

Wantawinnie

Thanks Dave,

Is that the cooler output or transmission output reading? Trying to get a feel for typical temps out of the tranny.

I am bypassing the radiator as well. Output should be the hottest temp reading. My pan doesn't have a oil fitting so the output line is where I put it.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Input to cooler ranges from 180 to 220.  Output from cooler is typically stays at bottom of gauge (140) unless going up a long hill.

Dave
[move][/move]

Wantawinnie

Thanks, that helps a lot. :)ThmbUp

LJ-TJ

Hey Dave, The current Volt meter I have in my 75 is the stock Voltmeter. When driving it reads nothing. When I hit the main switch it shows the chassis battery is charging. When I it the other way it shows the House battery charging. I have an extra stock Volt meter that I want to hook up so when I turn the ignition switch on and the engine starts the meter shows that the engine is charging and if there's a problem it starts to go down gradually. When your running a long it shows charge and when you turn the lights on it drops a bit. Any thoughts on how I can hook it up. Thanks Mate. Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Get a fuse tap

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/CT123.oap?ck=Search_fuse+tap_-1_-1&keyword=fuse+tap (about $2)

Connect it to one of the fuses in the chassis fuse box under the dash that only has power when ignition switch is on (i.e IGN ACC).
Run wire to voltmeter + (that is a flat spade lug connection on the fuse tap).  Run ground wire from meter -.

Oh, you also might want to mount the gauge so it is not rolling around on the dash and shorting out  :)

Normal running voltage is 14.1VDC.  Fluctuates a little but not much.  12-13VDC with engine running is bad juju.
Dirty/corroded connections or a failing fusible link in system can cause a low voltage reading so you may also have the pleasure of cleaning connectors.

Ah so simple!
Dave
[move][/move]

Wantawinnie

I was wondering about that as well. Can the momentary switch be changed out for a double pole rocker so that the Chassis voltage is displayed constantly instead of nothing or am I missing something.  Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sure.  They only used a momentary switch because being the humans we are, we tend to forget to turn the switch to the OFF position and end up running the battery down to nothing.  When boondocking, that could become very frustrating.  Thats why I said to connect his new voltmeter to a circuit that is controlled by the ignition switch.

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Hey Dave your a Prince. Thanks. I'm tired of not knowing what's going on when I'm driving.Over heating,electrical failures etc. So I'm modifying the dash. I'll get you a pic as I start to put it together. Thanks again mate. :)ThmbUp

LJ-TJ

So I'm tired of watching idiot lights and I got tired of fixing PO's so called fixes. So I patiently waited on Craig's list and found a Volt gauge,Vacum gauge,Oil pressure gauge,Oil temp gauge,Water temp gauge and Trans temp gauge with all the sending units and wiring for $125.00. Here's what I kind of had in mind. I want it to look as natural a possible. Kind of like they were suppose to be there.

LJ-TJ

And finally the last one.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Looks like your on the right gauge track to me!  Whoo Whoo!
Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Well I really didn't want my gauges to look like add on's so this is the best I could come up with. On the left side is a spot for me to mount my back up camera. On the 45 I left room for two fuel gauges one for the main tank and one for the aux tank. In the middle I have a Volts gauge, Vac gauge, Trans temp gauge, Water temp gauge, Oil temp gauge and a Oil pressure gauge. On the other 45 is room for my Fuel pressure gauge and my Garmin GPS.