454: Changed timing chain, engine seems tight. Is this a concern?

Started by ftv37, April 27, 2010, 04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ftv37

We have new to us 86 Elandan 26ft with 68,000 :)clap hasn't been run for approx 10yrs.
I soaked the cylinders in diesel for a day, turned it over by hand... all seemed well.
Changed the water pump, timing chain, radiator-ect.P ut it back together.  Got the balancer back on, tightened it up, but the motor just seems tight.  So, I spun it over with no plugs in.  When  I started it, it turned-over on the first try and no strange noises, should I be worried?

TommyM

Why did you soak the cylinders in diesel?

My guess would be the diesel washed any remaining oil off of the cylinder walls, bearings, and whatever else.

You didn't mention an oil change after the diesel.  I'm assuming/hoping you did that, right?

Still, if it starts up and runs well, I wouldn't worry about it.

Tommy
'75 Midas Class C (parted out, scrapped)
'85 27' Chieftain (crashed!)
'86 33' Chieftain (sold)
'94 37.5' Elante 37RQ
Durango, Colorado

LJ-TJ

Well! sounds like an old farmers trick to me. Work every time however I think I'd do an oil and filter change on her now. Might not hurt to put a little Zmax in there as well.

ftv37

My father taught me that trick. What it does is get into the ring pack, breaks the carbon loose, and expands the rings to seal better.  Diesel has a lubricant and leaves a film behind.  And yes, I did oil change right after I spun it over to remove any fluid left in the cylinders

Oz

My guess would be that, if the previous chain was stretched and you put a new one on... yup, it would seem tight and, that's what you want.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TommyM

Yeah, so long as you changed the oil before running it, I'd ditto what Pharoah said.  Sounds good!

Tommy
'75 Midas Class C (parted out, scrapped)
'85 27' Chieftain (crashed!)
'86 33' Chieftain (sold)
'94 37.5' Elante 37RQ
Durango, Colorado