No Head lights, Tail Lights, Wipers, Gauge Lights.

Started by LJ-TJ, June 09, 2009, 08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

I'll be brief. Everything worked fine. Stopped and went in for supper. Came out hit the starter,hit the lights notta,no head lights,wipers,no break lights and no dash lights. Checked the fuses all ok. Found the left side of the fuse panel to be dead. Where does the left side of the fuse panel get it's power from. Thanks Guys.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Power comes via the fusible link located on the starter solinoid (drivers side frame rail, close to where the starter is located)
If you need it, I have the 74-75 chassis wiring diagram posted on my web site (http://dave78chieftain.zxq.net/DodgeChassis.html).   Fuse block is on top of page 2.  The wire number is A20E-10BK.  Goes down about 1 inch to a junction that goes to page 1 as A20D-12BK (other leg goes to headlight switch pin B1).  On page 1 follow the circuit as A20B-10BK to left through the connector (center pin) until it connects to A20A-10BK.  Follow that down about 1/2 inch through another connector to the fusible link at the solinoid post 'B'.   Most likely your fusible link opened.  Be aware that the B+ from the altenator also uses the A20 circuit.  If the fusible link opens, there is also no charging circuit.

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Thanks Dave I'll check it out in the morning.

LJ-TJ

Well what a cluster @#% The PO had a field day under the dash. I've been fallowing wires all day with little luck however I have found a 78 that's being wrecked and plan on going this weekend hopfully to dismantle the instrument panel along with the wiring. We'll see how that goes.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Not sure why your doing all that.
Attached below is a wiring diagram with the A20 circuit in red.  The green is the tap off for the headlight switch.
Not sure if you know this so if the wire is labeled A20D-18BK, the 12BK means a 12 gauage black wire.  10BK means 10 guage black wire.  10RE is 10 gauge red wire, etc.
1.  Do you have voltage at the B+ terminal of the altenator?  (A20-10BK) Will be there with key ON or OFF.  If you do, the fusible link is ok.
2.  Do you voltage at the 3 pin connector?  The A1-18BK pin is for the hazard warning flasher.  The B1-18RE pin is for the dashboard ammeter.
3.  Do you have voltage at the B1 terminal of the headlight switch?  (A20F-12BK)

Object is to work back towards the fusible link and starter solinoid to determine where you loose the voltage.

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

LJ-TJ

OK!  :)So I'm on it. Red Dave's note going through the process calmly and methodically. Looking good  ;Dfollowing the wires until they disappear in a cluster that splits off into two separate pieces. I have to move them around a bit in order to find the red and two black leads and guess what.....everything lights up...  :D it all works the only problem is what did I touch...... I don't know. ???

DaveVA78Chieftain

Find the 3 pin connector, check it for corroded contacts.

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

Corrroded, as Dave said, or possibly loose wire.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

Aw Ha! I went on the great recovery misson today and dismanteled a complete Insterment panal and wireing harness so the next time things crap out I'll be good to go. Ya know the old saying if it ain't broke don't  >:( with it. Since things are now working I aint going to mess with it. Thanks for all your help because now thanks to you guys I now know what to look for.

The_Handier_Man1

This problem reminded me of the time I fixed my wipers by pounding my fist on the dash while we were driving along in the rain. My wife thinks I can fix anything, but that repair has now lasted for a couple of years.  I hope your repair lasts as long,  Les

DaveVA78Chieftain

While there are very simular, the 77 chassis wiring may be a little different.  The 78 chassis diagam I have shows a 6 pin rather than a 3 pin connector.   So just be careful when mixing stuff between years.  Use the time while things are working to see if you can find the connectors used.  On my 78, I seem to recall the multi-pin is behind the drivers side foot panel just before the wires go through the floorboard.  More connectors are located just forward of the steering box.  Always usefull to know where these are located.

Dave
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Hey Guys, really thanks a million. I really appreciate your help.

LJ-TJ

Ended up going to Princess Auto in Canada and bought their sending unit and gauge for $20.00. It bolted in perfect and works like a dream.