First post, as of yesterday I need to change my screen name!

Started by Wantawinnie, October 02, 2011, 01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wantawinnie

Hello all, for the last few years the thought of getting an old Winnie was always in the back of my mind and I kept an eye out for the right one. I have always loved the eyebrow Winnies as my dad had a '73 Indian back when I was a little kid and I remember going out west in it several times. He has a 1996 Itasca now.

Over the last 2-3 months I narrowed the search down to one exact model and finally found one for the right price. Yesterday I bought a 1973 D28 Chieftain II Custom. It is in decent shape on the outside but it does need some polishing. The previous owner was in the middle of redoing the inside and it needs putting back together and new floor coverings. All the furniture was just reupholstered, newer A/C unit, newer furnace, 6500 watt generator, and good tires.

My dad and I planned on trailering it home but do to high winds and a height issue the old girl got to make a 500 mile treck under it's own power. I was quite concerned but it made the trip without a problem even through Chicago traffic. Happy I got it home and can start putting it back together, hoping to keep it vintage with some modern flair also.

Some of you might have seen it before on the web as it is the one in the old Tin Can Tourist ad from several years ago. I bought it for $1200 from the guy who bought it off there. He is nice guy and I plan to keep in touch with him as I work on it.

I am sure this site will be a great help in getting her back in shape again.

LJ-TJ

:)clap Well! Welcome to the insane asylum I'm sure you've notice how crazy we must be here but there's tons of information and a great bunch of folks here willing to help. Remember the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.  ???

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Wantawinnie

I hadn't really thought about a new name yet. I have wanted one for so long it was the first thing that came top mind when I joined.  Can I let you know in a little while?

I spent a few hours polishing up the outside today. Still have some more to do but it is looking much better. Took my three year old over last night to see it and I think he is hooked just like the old man. It came with a Tonka Indian so he is playing with that all the time now.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Oz

tiinytina

Thats the Chieftan Custom II that Brad (Winnebagob) was lusting after and really really wanted... ah well!
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Wantawinnie

It was pure chance that I ended up with it. He had a rather obscure ad on Craigslist with no pics. I think Winnebago was mispelled or something to that effect. I called to confirm it was a Chieftain II and he sent some pics. Once the pics came I recognized it from the old ad on Tin Can Tourist but it had oxidized from sitting out the last couple years. The paint is cleaning up nicely with some Meguires cleaner wax.

I had some time last night to check out the engine a little bit. It is a 440-3 and runs real good. I thought it seemed a little sluggish on the highway coming back but didn't have time to mess with it. After looking things over the throttle was only opening about 3/4 because the gas pedal was messed up after the previous owner switched the carpet. I fixed that and she revs great now.   

tiinytina

that was an easy engine repair then! I love having an EASY button once in a while...
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Wantawinnie

Here are a few pics of my new prize.

Freshly polished on the driver side.

Still working on the passenger side. I have the front and back to do yet too.

Besides the floorplan, my favorite option is the dash layout.

I will get better pics as the work progresses.

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Lefty

OMG! OMG! OMG!!! Thats a factory original "Cockpit Commander" dash!!!!
Do you have any idea how rare and desirable that is???
I'd guess fewer than 1 Winnebago in 10,000 were built with that option. (if even that many).
You have got to get a bunch of pics up of that dash!! Theres guys here that have searched for years for an intact one as a reference. If you can also get shots of the underside wiring for it, that'd be fantastic too.

Bud.. that dash just doubled the value of that Chieftan...to a collector
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Wantawinnie

I knew it was a rare option, but just figured it was standard on the Chieftain II. My dad thought it was the coolest thing compared to the one in the '73 Indian he had. I think everything is there, the wiring I have no idea on yet.

The reason I focused on a '73 Chieftain II Custom was the midship entry door, red interior, black countertops, and the dash. All in all I could put it back original and it would still be a looker today IMO.

Lefty

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/1973/pdfs/73-Chieftain-bro.pdf

Theres something you might want to see. It's the 1973 Winnebago Sales Brochure, and it features the "Brand new Chieftan Custom II"...
Also, near the last page theres an original available option sheet that lists the "Deluxe Dash Package", as available as an option on the Chieftan, Chieftan II, and the Chieftan Custon II. The Chieftan Custom II was considered the absolute top of the line.
Some unusual features standard on te Chieftan Custom II?
How about exclusive red carpeting and wall coverings,brushed stainless steel appliances,two 10K btu roof air conditioners, two 27K btu propane furnaces,built-in central vac system, and my personal favorite "Exclusive simulated animal-skin fur..." on all living room furnishings!!! lol
As a side note, you mentioned it has a 6.5K watt genset. It came standard with a 4K watt, and a 5K watt was optional... so your genset likely isn't the original... but it is a nice upgrade.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Wantawinnie

Thanks, I have checked that brochure out before.That old ad sold me on the '73 Chieftain II Custom, marketing still works after 38 years. lol

I hadn't noticed the deluxe dash was optional, very interesting. I was looking on that last option page again and the 6500 watt generator is listed there. Couple other things make me wonder, the shower is red and the brochure makes it look like another color. Also, the rear sleeping quarters has a wrap around lounge instead of a queen bed. Winnebago mentioned that a rear lounge was "new" for '74 in the 1974 brochure so I am not sure about that. In the '73 brochure it does note prior to revisions for 73 1/2  so that stuff may have been changed mid year.

The animal fur is now gone. The previous owner had it recovered in a red flowered pattern. My wife and I just remodeled our home last year and I have some carpet and flooring left from that. I may make this our official "home away from home" and use that stuff up. It isn't red shag but a more modern shag type style in a light color. Still undecided at this point because I do like the red. Either way, once the flooring is back in it will make a huge difference on the inside.

Wantawinnie

I finished polishing up the paint and bumpers a few days ago. Now I need to start on the interior.

I contacted a friend in the carpet business yesterday and he is sending me a sample of "shimmering shag" in red. That should be interesting to check out. I also have a set of high back red captains chairs out of a Ramcharger to switch out with the orangish Dodge Class C seats somebody put in years ago. 

Wantawinnie

Got my Chassis and Coach manuals downloaded so I can start to figure out what I got here. Should be a great help. Got a few other cool items coming from the store as well. Thanks!

Still trying to come up with a new screen name.....

Oz

"Shimmering Shag"....  wow, that's not a common carpet name these days.... I LOVE it!

Wantawinnie

I got the red shag carpet sample yesterday. It is just a little darker than the original red that I found under the rear lounge. My wife is not sold on it yet so we may be going with something more nuetral.

I also found the original Chieftain owner's manual with the original owners name and selling dealer. Strangely enough it was not sold until August of 1974, not sure if that is common or not. It did have 900 miles on it so maybe it was kept as a dealer sales model or a rental for a year.

BTW: There is also a diagram in the owners manual that shows the optional dash layout and has numbered descriptions for everything.

LJ-TJ

BTW: There is also a diagram in the owners manual that shows the optional dash layout and has numbered descriptions for everything.
Any chance you could scan it and post it. Hm?

Wantawinnie

I can scan it, not sure how to post it though. I will take better pictures of the actual dash as well. The cigarette lighter is missing and the heater switch has been messed with. I think those items interchange with the standard dash so I can hopefully get it back to original.

Wantawinnie

Here are a few more pics of the optional dash in the Chieftain. I haven't had time to scan the owners manual yet. The manual choke on the bottom right corner of the first picture is not stock as far as I know.

Wantawinnie

A few more of my work in progress.

Here is a sampe of the new upholstery with a retro theme that the previous owner just had redone.

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

Work in progress are you kidding me. That is one sweet ride.  :)clap