1976 Winnebago D21 Brave complete rennovation - NOV 2013

Started by rude-a-bego, November 16, 2013, 09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rude-a-bego

A lot has been done since I last updated my project.  In September I finally got rid of nasty basket that one of the PO's had installed.  It was heavy, rusted and had to go.  The gas tank will be re-mounted underneath real soon.
Rudy  ,':{ Ì´

rude-a-bego

In October, I tore apart the passenger side.  All of the wood was rotted and there was significant pin holes.  Note:  if you need to seal up your work fast and easy, use carpet protective adhesive plastic; it works great!  You can buy it at Home Depot or Lowes.

rude-a-bego

Next was the removal of all of the remaining cabinets.  Remember, I said this was a "complete" renovation. 

rude-a-bego

I had help....  Yes, my friends are also trying to figure out what the heck I am doing... and why.

rude-a-bego

Today I started prepping the roof for the sealer that should be here this week.  The PO did a crappy job of spreading what looked like about a 2 quarts of some roof coat.  I had to scrape a lot of it away from the fan/vent, dump tank vent and seam across the front.  I knew there was damage, now I know how bad it is.  Nothing the tape I ordered with the sealer won't fix.  Unfortunately, I will also have to replace the wood under the seam.  Note the damage.   This is the before....

rude-a-bego

Stay tuned for after pictures.....

In the meantime, one of the many things I learned in the Army is battery maintenance.  So tonight I cleaned out the battery box, put new terminals on (except one was in really good shape) and removed some of the corrosion with baking soda (see before picture below).  Tomorrow morning I plan to prime and paint the box, grease the skids (literally) and put the batteries back in place.  Again, stay tuned for after pictures.

rude-a-bego

Busy days now that the rains have stopped and it has cooled down here in AZ.

LJ-TJ

• WOW! Now that's one ambitious project. Looks like your doing a great job. Keep the pics coming. Well done. :)ThmbUp At least now I know I'm not the only crazy. :)rotflmao

rude-a-bego

Battery Box:
1.  Cleaned and corrosion removed
2.  Primed with rust inhibitor
3.  Coated with rubber coating spray
4.  Top coated with gloss black

Why so much work on a battery box?  I had primer, rubber paint and gloss black from projects I did years ago.  I got rid of three cans of spray paint!
Now I tell my wife I'm not just rebuilding an RV, I'm cleaning house!  :)rotflmao

sasktrini

I wish I could do that ambitious of work in November.  In my neck of the woods, May to August is lucky to get warm weather!  Gonna bookmark and watch!  Good luck!
Corey aka sasktrini

intofire1

M & J

M & J

cosmic

rude-a-bego

Remember this....  there is no such thing as a "little" water damage.  Check out the big circle of damage from a few small holes.  This is obviously damage from water that was trapped for a while.  Oh well, the other side is solid.  I'll have it patched up by the end of the week....  no more leaky!

ClydesdaleKevin

Excellent work and great pictures!  When I did my battery box, I lined it afterwards with a piece of rubber stall mat that I got from Tractor Supply, about 3/8" thick.  They sell it by the foot and its pretty cheap.  It helps cushion batteries when traveling, and also helps protect the paint from the batteries jostling around in the road.  Not a necessity, but not a bad idea either.

Looking good so far! 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Bigjohnk99

You guys have convinced me into redoing my battery tray.   Great pictures.  Like seeing the progress.

rude-a-bego

It's amazing how much easier it is to open a clean battery box.

rude-a-bego

Sunday was Window Day - Part 2.  The driver and passenger window seals and tracks were absolutely destroyed.... just like all the other windows in the coach.  Here are a few before and during pictures.

rude-a-bego

I finished them up last night.  I will post pictures of the finished product tonight.  In the meantime, if you want info on doing this yourself, check out this link: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7959.0.html

The first two took me at least 16 hours to clean, repair, and re-assemble; I have a total of 10 hours into these two.  This is a obviously a "labor of love" or some twisted form of sadomasochism; tough call.  anyway, I learned a lot the first go-round.

I only have one left to do.....

rude-a-bego

Ta Da!
:)clap
All I have left to do is put the weep hole cover on.

NOTE 1:  The only way I could get the sliding window out and back in is to break the weld on one corner.  I repaired it by riveting in an angle bracket and patching it up with JB Weld.  Good as new.

NOTE 2:  If you try this at home, make sure you spray the track with teflon when you are done.  It will make the open/close a lot easier...  trust me.  New tracks are stiff!

cosmic

(break the weld on one corner.)
was this to separate the 2 pieces of aluminium, then slide the glass out?

rude-a-bego

Yup,
Just one...

If you pull the old track lining out you can get the glass out.... barely and way too much work.  However, there is no way to get the glass back in once you put the new track in.

rude-a-bego