Gauge panel design

Started by Wbago, May 30, 2014, 06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

engineer bill

I have purchased a Tachometer which I will soon mount to the underside of the steering column. I also purchased a set of good quality aftermarket gauges and I look forward to building a nice varnished wood gauge panel under the center console. I have developed the panel layout using a CAD program (a number of them free on the web but I was using AutoCAD). I could also have done it old school, using drafting instruments. When I get started on the gauges in earnest I will blog on it here and of course post pictures.Here are a couple of pictures to start with: 1) The gauge layout I have in mind. 2) The piece of wood I have in mind. 3) My tentative gauge location. 4) Measuring the doghouse clearance. (I'm concerned about the tight clearance to the dog house. In fact, I have not yet removed it (it's a virgin you know) and so I don't know if it can come straight back for a couple of inches to clear the gauges?Note the two electronic, dual air pressure gauges for the air bags.
"on the road again, I just can't wait to get on the road again..."
thanks to Willie Nelson

engineer bill

thanks to Willie Nelson

Wbago

Nice job with the guage and running info, bill, much appreciated :D Looks like youre doing your winnie proud, ill be waiting with baited breath for the photos of your new dials, as its on my list of things to do next year lol .... i want nice old style dials with new insides, tho, to keep the nice warm look when the lights are on :P  ....

LJ-TJ

Nice work on the gauge package.. When the time comes can you put the dimensions and location in measurements on your diagram in case someone else would like to build one. Looks like it's going to be a knock out package. :)ThmbUp

engineer bill

W%

I'll be happy to put the final design details up here on this thread. I'll include dimensions, part numbers, materials and pictures. It will be a few weeks though because there are a few more pressing problems, but it will happen as I have bought all the gauges and am pretty much ready to proceed as soon as I find time.

Keep in mind that the GPS part of this is posted separately in PROJECTS and is now complete.

thanks to Willie Nelson

scubieman

I am very disappointed not to see the final results. I would love to have a place for extra gauges that looks good.

LJ-TJ

Hey Engineer Bill, you still out there. What happen to your gauge package. Good one Scubieman I thought I just missed it.

LJ-TJ

Hey Bill you still out there? How'd you ever make with gauge package. Hm?

scubieman

Also TJ do you know why he would put gauges in? Most of those are in my dash already? i??

LJ-TJ

• Over the years we've found that a lot of the gauges put in the rigs aren't the most accurate. In a lot of cases they didn't work at all. So a lot of us have build interment panels with real gauges in them. SW's or Auto Meter. Yes that in it self is a good passionate debate around here.>GRIN< What I can tell you is rather than wait for an idiot light to come on and find out it's two late. The oil pressure is gone or the oil temp is through the roof or you think you can smell the tranny cooking it's self. There is nothing sweeter than scanning a set of real gauges that tell you exactly what's going on. In my case some people have called it over kill but in the past two years I've been worry free. If your going to add gauges step up to the plate and buy good ones and you'll never have a worry after that unless something if failings. Hm?

engineer bill

Sorry but have not yet been able to finish the gauge panel. I've been distracted by more pressing Winne issues. Please be patient. I have bought all the parts so when I finish I will post it all here. Fortunately I don't have the Boss breathing down my neck.  W%
thanks to Willie Nelson

engineer bill

I'm actually kinda, sorta thinking about just installing my gauges with those standard metal brackets (for now.) That would at least get the gauges up and running. The other big sticking point is how where/how to install the transmission temperature gauge sensor. Probably somewhere between (a.) duct taping the sensor to the transmission cooler line and (b.) reworking the cooling plumbing to allow an inline tee, preferably hard mounted to the transmission or engine.
thanks to Willie Nelson

LJ-TJ

:)rotflmao Maybe we should e-mail the boss  so she can encourage you. If this is any help I installed my trans sensor in the tranny which seems to work really well.

scubieman

Maybe one of these years I will get all the oil leaks under control. I think everything leaks from coolant to engine oil to trans oil, power steering... Yippy

Rickf1985

Keeps it from rusting. I will not even get into the best placement for the trans temp sensor, think I did that before and it turned into a competition to see whose idea was used.

LJ-TJ

Nup! I don't think it was a case of  competition Rick. All the suggestions were great. I think it ended up being  finding the best place to put it. In most cases what some suggested took more experience to install than some of those who were doing the installing were capable of doing. I remember the discussions and though the lads that contributed ideas were fantastic For myself I would have liked to put it in the cooling line but that was way out of my talents. So I ended up going electric and screwing it into a port in my tranny that seems to be working out pretty decent. You come up with some of the darnedest ideas stuff I would have never thought of.  :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

45 years as a master mechanic and racer and you learn a few things. ;)

engineer bill

Quote from: LJ-TJ on December 11, 2014, 04:05 PM
:)rotflmao Maybe we should e-mail the boss  so she can encourage you. If this is any help I installed my trans sensor in the tranny which seems to work really well.
Actually, when I said "Boss" I was referring to my work boss. I was mostly pretty happy to retire from my engineering job because back then, the excuse that I had too much on my plate was not an acceptable excuse. Now, with very few exceptions, I can move at my own pace.

I do miss some things like the constant learning, technical challenges, satisfaction with my projects working out and most of all the daily contact with my friends and associates.
thanks to Willie Nelson

engineer bill

Quote from: LJ-TJ link=topic=9764.msg59201#msvg59201 date=1418331946
LJ-TJ:
Thanks for the picture, worth a thousand words, but... is that view of the sensor port looking back at the front, left, bottom of the trans? Or are we looking forward at the right, middle, bottom? Is that the 350 trans? Is that the "Diagnostic Port" I've heard about? I can't really tell from the picture...
I've got an '89 with 454 engine with the 350 transmission. We've been talking about the "perfect" place to put the trans temp sensor (or "sender") and that's a great, interesting discussion-but relatively easy and adequate will do for now. So I could also really use specific instructions for installing the coolant temp sensor and the oil pressure sensor too. And, if it's not too much to ask, picture with captions would be really great. Really appreciated.  i?? 
Clueless in Seattle,
Bill
thanks to Willie Nelson

LJ-TJ

Aw man your killing me. I got a 727 trans behind a 440 dodge. Geeesss.Sorry mate. What I can throw on the table for you is I like Auto Meter gauges because there good quality and U.S. made. If you try to buy then new off the shelf the price will kill you. Keep an eye on E-bay and Craigs list. You can buy them for a 10th the cost of new.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R3.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.XAutometer+&_nkw=autometer+gauges&_sacat=0

http://www.searchtempest.com/search?search_string=Autometer+Gauges&category=8&Region=na&cityselect=zip&location=44720&maxDist=50000&region_us=1&region_can=1&srchType=&keytype=adv&minAsk=&maxAsk=&subcat=sss

eXodus

since the transmission temp itself it most times not an issue, only the fluid temperature counts. because the fluid brakes down and causes transmission failure.

i would probably get a inline sensor and mount it right infront of the transmission cooler. here is the temp already a little bit cooler then in the tranny itself.

now the trick, borrow or buy and infrared laster termometer. drive the transmission hot, jump out of the mh and read the surface temperature of the tranny pan. do this a couple of times under different environmental temperaturs. note all in a table you get a pretty good idea how much the sensor in the cooler line is of the actual temp. probably only about 20-30 degree.

now you know where your red ahould beginn. or if you got an analog gauge you can even adjust it to show what youve got down there.

engineer bill

Great suggestions. I agree that no matter where you measure the temperature, you need to calibrate it to the real world and doing so with the infrared laser thermometer makes that pretty straightforward.

BTW, just looked and my trans is the 400 Turbo Hydromatic 3 speed (no overdrive)-and not the "350" as I said above. Rear axle ratio is 4.10.
thanks to Willie Nelson

engineer bill

Another thought: Years ago I killed an Acura Integra automatic transmission by accidentally introducing some contamination when I disconnected the transmission cooler lines and bagged the ends while swapping engines. Sooo, I have some reservations about cutting the cooler line and putting in a tee for the sensor.
thanks to Willie Nelson

Rickf1985

As long as you clean off all the dirt and crap around the area you are working and make sure there is not dirt inside the fittings you put in you are good to go. Next time don't use your used sandwich bags after lunch. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

eXodus

dont cut any lines, get screw T, two female and a male, right where the line screws in the cooler.