What is the fastest way to drain fresh water....

Started by bnlfan, February 11, 2015, 08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnlfan

When you know it is getting ready to freeze, what do you do to drain your fresh water tank?

What is the fastest way to do this in your yard and you have no time to allow the pump to suck it all out and dump it into your grey water tank?  Can you drop it straight to the ground outside?

Oz

There should be a fresh water drain valve somewhere on the tank.  It could be on the side or under it.  It depends on your tank and if the original one has been replaced as to where it would be located.  It could also be that the only drain line is the one going to the pump, if it's an on-demand system rather than the original, pressurized system.

I had a replacement tank and it was located on the side.  If you have a pump, you can also disconnect the line after the pump and put a short line on it to drain into the yard and use the pump to empty it, or disconnect the pump and let the water gravity drain out.  Mine had a T valve which could be switched from the plumbing circuit to a drain line.

I don't know of any faster way than that.  There's no way to really force it out faster without adding air pressure into the tank itself, which, if it's plastic, isn't a good idea because it's not designed to handle interior pressure like the old, pressurized steel tanks were..
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

bnlfan

Thank you OZ.  I followed the lines and found it going down through the floor.  It was actually partially covered by carpet. 

gpw9552

My 87 chieftain (33) has 2.  When draining, open your sink, shower, and wash basin taps to allow the lines to drain.  Also, don't forget the Hot Water Heater.