Frozen Shifter, will not move.

Started by angrybreadbox73, May 10, 2009, 07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angrybreadbox73

Has anyone had the shifter cable freezeup and stop moving?
soo many bagos so little time

Oz

Shift cable freezing up?  Oh yeah.  Do a message search, you'll definitely find it.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

malodin

strange i just caught this the weekend after my shifter froze up on me, go figure.  mine turned out to be the cable coming under the engine had bounced or shifted into the lower crankshaft pulley and the pulley wore a groove in the shifter cable and housing thus "welding" my shifter to its housing, now i have to find a new cable and cannot find any posts on this, maybe its my stupid works internet crap but i get nothing popping up.

angrybreadbox73

update!!!!!!!! ive recently installed a b,m truck shifter from jegs the cable is a tad short but longer
cables are avail and i put the new shifter on the doghouse for better reach so far it works great

malodin

Oz

Yes, a part number would be great to have!  Broken Shift cables are fairly common, and replacement sources for them are worth gold.

DaveVA78Chieftain

I have never had to dig into my shifter cable however I did locate the following listing for hurst universal shifter cables.  Anyone have any idea if the 8 or 11ft one would work?
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400134+300823+115&autoview=sku

8ft cable

11ft cable

Here is another possible solution that may be adaptable:
http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Shifters/shifter_cables.asp

Dave
[move][/move]

malodin

i have not removed mine as of yet, but i did have to disconnect it from the tranny side of things and it is a clevis style pin that hooks to the tranny.  dont know if it is just a screw on or not as i was at the gas station and a little upset.

its the "throw"  that is going to be crittical

also for anyone who hasnt i strongly recomend getting under there and checking all the mounting points of the cable as mine was perfectly opperational until it "bounced" into the lower crankshaft pulley, upon inspection of it where it wraps underneath the radiator and heads to the tranny there was no "clip" or hold down bracket which allowed it to shift as it were right into the pulley

angrybreadbox73

there is more than one part number for shifter cables but what I'm saying is I'm using a racing shifter for good
positive shifting and it can be put where you want and get longer cables from summit racing.com or jegs racing.com

denisondc

The info on the shifter part # was VERY welcome.  The different part numbers might have to do with the different lengths.  I know the cable came in lengths of about 9' & 10', and the shorter one could be replaced with the longer one on things like the A100 Dodge vans, just by letting the cable loop differently on its way from the dashboard down and back to the 727 tranny.

angrybreadbox73

when i installed my racing shifter the cable was a tad short and i think if ya get a 10 ft cable frum hurst or b,m
it would be better due to routing and heat issues if the cable is near the exhaust get it away from it

Oz

Will you be getting a longer one then?

angrybreadbox73

indeed i need a longer cable so i can rermount my shifter it being on the doghouse kind is in the way of entry and exit arrgh but im thinking the 10 ft would be great