413 fuel pump / starter part numbers

Started by MSN Member, November 09, 2008, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 4/5/2007 4:13 PM

This forum has been a great resource... I have looked at all the posts and have not seen part #s for 413 engine starter or fuel pump... forgive if I missed it.
Also has anyone been able to see the 413 listed anywhere on the NAPA web site?

MSN Member

Sent: 4/5/2007 5:50 PM

Hi;

I searched high and low for the receipts for the starter and fuel pump, but couldn't find either. You will not find the part numbers on the NAPA web site. If you go to the store, they will be able to look the parts up in the book. They can even test the starter for you. but keep in mind that when they test it, it will be cold. When I brought the old starter to the store they tested it. It tested OK, but it was cold. The starter was not OK when it was hot. As far as the fuel pump the one that I got had a different size pipe fitting in it. Not a big deal, just another trip to the store for the adapter. I will keep looking for the part numbers.

Dave

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 4/6/2007 6:17 AM

First, go to the members section and download the Dodge parts manual.  413 was used in early 70's (70-73) so parts manual says 70-72 Dodge starter P/N is 2875560.  Go to NAPA website and enter the Dodge P/N number into the non-NAPA P/N field and you get the starters NAPA has for you.  From the downloaded parts book, the Dodge P/N for a 413 fuel pump is 3004107.  Again, enter that in the Non-NAPA P/N field and get NAPA fuel pump P/N listing

Dave   

[move][/move]

MSN Member

Sent: 4/6/2007 9:13 AM

Thank you all for the quick responses... I knew you guys would have the answers
Dave in Reno '72 Brave 58,000 miles

MSN Member

Sent: 4/5/2007 11:12 PM

The fuel pump is the same as for a 440.  As for the starter, here is a tip.  Get the starter for an early 90's V8 small block Dodge Dakota.  This will be the mini-starter with a gear reduction.  Since the 413 is not a high compression engine, 7.5 to 1, the regular starter will work, but the smaller mini-starter will spin the engine faster and makes it easier to start because it draws less current from the battery.  You will have to take the plastic terminal relocators from starter, but they are held on by nuts.  You then have to split the starter and solenoid wires apart so you can put them on the starter.  I have done this at least twenty times and I have never had a problem.  All you have to do is very obvious when you do it.   The starter works on every Mopar motor from 4 Cylinders, to small blocks, to B and RB blocks.

Henry

denisondc

Sent: 4/9/2007 11:47 AM

When I first replaced my 413 fuel pump, I took the old one in to match it, but they didnt have one on hand with the fitting for the pump outlet-port facing the same way. What they had was otherwise identical, and was listed for a 440 in an early 70s Dodge pickup. I had to twist the end of the metal line that left the old pump and ran up to the carburetor in order for it to screw into the pumps outlet port. I think I had to twist it about 90 degrees. When I replaced the pump again ten years later, I told them I needed a pump for a 72 dodge pickup. It was a perfect fit. Later when I had the radiator out, I made up a new metal line to run from the pump up to the carburetor - and made sure it didnt touch anything along the way, so couldnt get a hole worn by rubbing against the block, etc. I also added the Tee fitting for my fuel pressure gauge at this time.
With whatever type of starter you use, be sure you have a Heat Shield between the bottom side of the manifold and the top of the starter. It would have had one originally, and it is needed. Also make sure the ground wire from the negative post on the battery, via the frame, to the engine/transmission is in good shape.