Brake Hoses Needed for 73 Indian M400...

Started by MSN Member, August 03, 2010, 05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

I need to replace the front brake lines for my 73 Indian. I took the Vin to the local heavy duty parts store and they couldn't get them. I looked in the search engine and the last and only listen I found was from 2008 for a Brave. That suggestion was to take the lines off and take them to NAPA. I don't have the coach and really don't have that much time. Has anyone found a suppler since then and have a P/N they can pass on to me? I haven't checked this yet but since I have this thread going I have air assist brakes. Atleast that is what I was told. There is some type of filter next to the emergency brake lever which I was told that was for the air assist brakes. So I'm guessing this means I don't have power steering assist brakes? If I did I was planning on replacing those hoses as well. How can I tell? Thanks in advance for the help or links...

MSN Member

Ok, I checked and called Alretta for the brake lines today. He asked me if the coach had single or dual caliber pistons. So I wasted a hole day to come home and check. I checked in the parts area and did a search in the member posting area. I found some other useful info that I could have used today but nothing on the single or duel piston brake caliber. I even did a search on the web. I couldn't find anything. Could someone please help me out here. I was about to find that my unit is a RM350=M400. If I knew this today I think NAPA could have matched up the unit to the lines I need. I also told them that the unit was a bread truck like I saw it on the forum here somewhere and that didn't help either.  I know one thing, once I get those hoses ordered. I plan to post it in this thread as it seems like a major issue looking for the P/N. I just can't believe with all the Winnies out that no one replaced the lines and if they did they didn't pass the P/N info on...

ClydesdaleKevin

On a 1973 you are not going to have any calipers...you are going to have drums both front and back, not disks.  Drums use wheel cylinders, not calipers.

On the front, you are only going to have 1 wheel cylinder per wheel.  On the back you'll probably have 2 per wheel, but you might only have one per wheel.  The way to check is to crawl under your RV and look at the inside of the rear brake drum.  Follow the brake lines to the inside of the drum...if there is only one line, you have a single system.  If you have 2 brake lines going to each wheel, then you have a dual system.  Some have a connecting brake line behind the drum, so to be sure, look for a top and a bottom bleeding valve.  If you have 2, then you have a dual system. 

I don't know why Alretta asked you about calipers...you won't have disk brakes on a 73 unless they were added aftermarket.

And you have vacuum assist brakes, not air assist on a 73.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

MSN Member

Thank you so very much ClydesdaleKevin. That is very great info. Now I don't know for sure about the disc but the mechanic told me it had it.  I will stop by there today and check.  Thanks again...

ClydesdaleKevin

No matter what model from 73 you have, you won't have rear disks...the rear will be drums. Its possible you have disks in front now that I think about it...it was an option and I think Tom (Slantsixness) converted the front of his to disk using parts from a 73 that had them.

So now the question is do you have 1 piston in the caliper, or 2.  The only way I know to check this out for sure is to turn the wheels all the way to one side and see if you can look inside the caliper to where the brake pads are.  Chances are you won't be able to tell because the pads will be in the way.  So bring your tool box and a jack and a jack stand.  Turn the wheel all the way to one side.  Loosen the lug nuts on the wheel that is turned inward...that will give you the best access to the caliper.  Jack that side up and put a jack stand under it, then remove the wheel.  Not sure how to remove a 73 Dodge caliper, but it should be simple...On a Chevy you remove one allen bolt and tap out a wedge and the caliper comes off.  Pull your caliper off the rotor and remove the brake pads...and now you'll be able to tell if it is a single piston, or a dual.  If its a single, there will only be one pipe-like thingy pushing on the pad...a dual will have 2. 

Sorry its a bit of a tool project, but not all that bad.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

MSN Member

Thanks again Kev. I stopped by and checked out the coach, and it does have front disc brakes. It also has one brake hose going to each caliber. I only saw one bleed screw. Do I still need to pull the wheel???

DaveVA78Chieftain

Here is a pic of the difference between single and dual caliper.
Notice that one has one hole in the body, the other has 2.

Dave

[move][/move]

MSN Member

Thank you for the picture Dave! It's strange, my hose set up looks like the single piston picture, but my hub set up looks like the one on the duel set up... Hm?

salplmb

i have a 73 rm350 chassis. its a 73 d22 Indian. i have front disk brakes on mine. i also replaced the lines but did not use factory replacements. i went to a performance brake shop and they took my line and just matched up the thread pattern and gave me adapters to use s.s braided lines. they were actually cheaper than what i was finding in the parts stores. they also look cool and are Superior in performace. i don't have part #'s because they didn't give me any. the important part was the threads for the adapter and then just pick the right length hose.
hope this helps a little.
sal