Fuel Filter Location?

Started by MSN Member, May 25, 2009, 01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrewerBrian

Sent: 4/30/2005

I've seen a few posts recommending frequent changes of fuel filters.  Seemed like a all-around good idea, and I remembered that the P. O. included an extra metal in-line filter in the deal.  Since I had never changed it and we're preparing for a trip to the Irish Alps, I put myself to do it.  But can't find it.  Nor can I even find a reference to it in the Chevy or Winnebago manuals I have.  I've located the electric fuel pump, but the filter is not in that area; and I've traced the fuel line from the carburator to the front of the engine, where it is lost among a tangle of hoses, vacuum lines, braces and wires.  I'm pretty sure it is not there either, because I can't imagine I could miss it even in that congested area.   

Is it possible that this model does not include a fuel filter?  Any help on this issue wold be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Linda & Brian Walsh
Gainesville, FL
1983 Winnebago Brave named  Twofer the Road
P30 chassis / Chevy 454 engine
85,000 miles

OldEdBrady

Trust me here:  There IS a fuel filter somewhere in that line!

It could be one of those that is in the carb.  The fuel line goes up to the carb and into the filter.  Some screw into the carb, and some are in a kind of "holder" that screws in right on the carb itsself.

Another alternative that I've seen on some vehicles in a filter in-line from the tank to the fuel pump.  I've even seen them mounted to the chassis with a clamp and bolt where the line runs from the tank.

Ya gotta find it!  And, since the PO gave you a filter to go with the rig,  it sounds to me as if it may be one of those in-line things.  Trace the line from the fuel tank end of her toward the engine.

MSN Member

Hi Brian...

Dunno if this is any help or not, but the Chev engines I have had w/Rochester qudrajet carb, had a small fuel filter in the carb body if I correctly recall. Pull off the fuel line & fitting & take a look.

Regards,

Robert Donley

DaveVA78Chieftain

Brian
Some GM MU chassis vapor/lock solving information I have indicates that the gas tank is mounted behind the rear axle between the frame rails.  A 3/8" rubber line goes AFT over to the passenger side framerail to the fuel filter which is mounted outboard the framerail.  The filter then feeds the electric fuel pump (also outboard the frame rail).  This is all located aft of the rear wheels.  A 1/2" steel line goes from the electric fuel pump forward to a mechanical fuel pump in engine compartment (also outboard the frame rail).

Hope this helps

Dave
[move][/move]

BrewerBrian

Sent: 5/3/2005

Thanks for all the help.  Based on Old Ed Brady's post, I gave the carburetor a much closer look and found the word "filter" embossed on a fitting into which the steel fuel line was screwed.  It took some penetrating fluid and muscle to unscrew the line, but as soon as I did, out popped a small paper filter element.  A five minute trip to the auto parts store and  $2 later, and I was back in business.  I cut open the old filter to see if it was loaded, and was surprised to see only  a single small insect.  Real clean gas going to the cylinders.

I will continue to search a see if any P. O. added other in-line filters.  I hope one of them did so.  It seems to me that a large plastic in-line filter near the electric fuel pump would more efficient and make changing filters easier.

Thanks again
Brian Walsh

angrybreadbox73

sound like you found the filter but if it was me i would add a good quality filter before the carb to trap the junk
soo many bagos so little time