Starter doesn't engage on the first few tries

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 23, 2008, 11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 4/24/2004 8:39 AM

Hello,

When key is turned you hear a rapid turning of the starter.  If you try enough times you eventually get it to turn the engine over.  I suspected that the Bendix drive was bad.  Pulled starter (a real pain) and took it to O'Reilly to test.  The starter tested OK.  I tried it with no load and a remote starter and it pulls forward and spins just like it should.  I pulled the inspection plate and I couldn't see any missing teeth on the flex plate.  I'm baffled (missing teeth on top?) but I'd have to put starter back in (only want to do that once).  Could starter still be bad?  Could PO have put wrong starter in (shorter throw)?  Something else?

I'm pretty sure the starter isn't engaging.  I don't hear anything that makes me think there are missing teeth.  Any ideas?

thanks,

Sent: 4/24/2004 12:53 PM

About your starter; mine had gotten to where it took about 3 tries for it to turn the engine, instead of just spinning thestarter without being engaged and turning the engine. It checked out "okay" when I tried it outside the RV, but it still didn't work the first time or two when back in. So i got a rebuilt starter, and the problem was gone. It started the first time every time. I could only conclude it needed to have the decades old hardened grease cleaned out of the sliding parts.

Before you look at getting smaller rims sizes, you have to make sure they have the same load rating, and will take tires of the same load rating as the originals did. And you have to check that the mounting offset will allow the tire sidewalls not to come within about an inch of each other when mounted on the rear axle. 

Sent: 4/24/2004 5:20 PM

Well I found part of the bad news.  I put the starter back on, pulled the inspection plate, got underneath with my remote starter, and tested my little heart out.  There are several spots on the flex plate without a tooth.  Looks like I need to pull the transmission and replace the plate.

Sent: 4/25/2004 11:05 PM

You can find some more info on this topic with the Message Search using the keyword "Starter" or browsing the board for "Starter needs shimmed, bench test".  I found it was easier to buy a new starter and now I have a core to use to get another one as a spare or fiddle with repairing it myself.

- Sob