8 Year Owner/Full time resident '85 Winnie. Chieftain 22

Started by Xephyr Xruxible, July 03, 2021, 06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xephyr Xruxible

Hello, my name is Xephyr Xruxible, pronounced Zephyr Crucible.

I've been living in my 1985 Winnebago Chieftain 22 for about 8 Years now. The deciding factor for me was I can finnaly do what I've dreamed of doing since I was about 14. "Play with PV". For those who don't know PV means Photo Voltaics aka Solar Electric Power. The first 6 months I didn't have my first panel installed because I couldn't find anyone who would install a residential panel on an RV. I was paying around 450 a month for Gasoline alone. The moment I finally installed it myself, 100% of that went away. That first panel cost me about $450. I haven't payed for electricity since.

Now I have 2 Panels, 9 Wal-Mart brand Flooded-Lead-Acid Deep Cycle Marine/RV Batteries = ~513 Effective Ah ('Effective' means, with Deep Cycle Lead-Acid Batteries you only have about half of the Actual Ah. Translation: 1,026Ah Actual = ~513Ah Effective), also an amazing Charge Controler and a decent 3kW PWM Inverter waiting to be replaced by a bran new 3KW PureSine Inverter. Next step, a 12V, compressor based Portable Fridge/Ice Chest. I'm excited to no longer needing to live out of an ice chest (Un-powered, 7lbs. of ice required each day in the summer. Every 2 days in the winter.)

My goal to have a fully functional, completely solar powered, off-grid, electric only home is finally within grasp. Untill about October 2020 I couldn't see that goal being met. What flipped that on it's head was finally having the right question to ask about charge controllers. From then on I keep having more and more ideas on how to improve things.

That aside... I'm having 2 very important issues. Both those and more could be solved quite easily if only I could find a maintainance/service manual and an electrical diagragm so I can change my oil and filters (for smoging) as well as COMPLETELY isolate my Starter Battery and my Engine/Alternator Power from my RV's Auxiliary Power.

eg. Internal Lights, Floor and Door Lights, Step, and all wiring not essential to the driving functionality of my RV.

I have a really small PWM Charge Controller acting as a Battery Tender for my Starter Battery using my Aux. Bank as the PV Input so I never have to worry about draining my Starter Battery, nor will I ever have to worry about my Alternator being overwhelmed by trying to charge my Aux. Bank.

I've never done any automotive wiring before so I don't know where to begin.

At this moment I can't guarantee any time on this site. But I'll try. Who knows, I might enjoy it here.

P.S. I really need a repair/maintainance/service manual. Pleeeease!

Thanx.
Xephyr Xruxible (aka. Xeph (Zeph)

Xephyr Xruxible

!-! It's been around 20 years since I've been on a message board. I just read what I wrote and wish I had proof read it and pre-viewed it.  :)rotflmao

Oz

Hello and welcome!  Congratulations on living your dream and sticking with it!

Contact Winnebago and they will email you the diagrams you need.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca