Rust, rust, grumble, grumble

Started by Aaarrghh, June 06, 2016, 03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaarrghh

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 09, 2016, 05:51 PM
The thing is that it is the pits that are tearing up the belts most likely and you are not going to fix them. This would be good for a rusty but not badly pitted replacement.

My thoughts as well.

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Only a couple of the right three groove pulleys there and both rusty as hell! Both the same seller who "look nice"! Probably the same pulley. What is it with the three groove pulley's? You might as well go with the straight three groove and you will have to figure out your belt sizes. I seriously doubt you are going to be turning the kind of rpm where you would need to worry about turning the pump too fast.

Aaarrghh

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on June 10, 2016, 08:57 PM
Will any of these work?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1983+Chevy+350+crankshaft+pulley.TRS0&_nkw=1983+Chevy+350+crankshaft+pulley&_sacat=0
The 2 used crank pulleys look correct, but quite rusty. Holy cow, they think they're worth $50? I can get a shiny new one for that much! Maybe I could sell mine on ebay.

Aaarrghh

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 10, 2016, 09:37 PM
Only a couple of the right three groove pulleys there and both rusty as hell! Both the same seller who "look nice"! Probably the same pulley. What is it with the three groove pulley's? You might as well go with the straight three groove and you will have to figure out your belt sizes. I seriously doubt you are going to be turning the kind of rpm where you would need to worry about turning the pump too fast.
Well, I might enter my rig in the old mh races!

Yes, I think my best bet is to go with the Transdapt pulleys from carparts.com. The crank pulley is about half an inch smaller, but I haven't had cooling problems at idle so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to hold off and see how fast the new belts wear with what I have. If there's enough $$ left in the budget (yes now I have a budget :( ) at the end of June I'll get the Transdapt pulleys.

Rickf1985

When you say the crank pulley is smaller are you talking about yours is smaller or the new one? You definitely do not want to put a smaller crank pulley on there. That will slow down all the accessories. Water pump, alternator, power steering, AC.

Aaarrghh

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 11, 2016, 09:40 AM
When you say the crank pulley is smaller are you talking about yours is smaller or the new one? You definitely do not want to put a smaller crank pulley on there. That will slow down all the accessories. Water pump, alternator, power steering, AC.

The grooves of the new pulley would be all the same diameter, while on the original, the 2 inner ones are smaller than the outer.

The old crank pulley outer dia. is about 8 1/4", while the Transdapt is listed as 7.8". Actually, the PS and AC would run faster, because the new inner diameters would be larger than original.

O'Reilly's pulley was about 8 1/4", same as my original except the inner grooves were same dia. as the outer, for $25 more. Would it be worth the extra $$?