Schumacher 500w Inverter for TV/DVD Combo-voltage too high warning!

Started by sharkfot, December 26, 2008, 09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkfot

I just want to occasionally power my Toshiba 26 inch LCD (with built in DVD) in the RV--i purchased a Schumacher 500w Inverter (I know, cheap)

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_130560_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

when I plugged it in with the TV it gave a "low battery voltage" warning and would not power the TV--my digital tester showed 12.7V at the 12 volt outlet--I plugged the coach in to boost the 12V and then it showed a voltage too high warning!  I returned the inverter--any suggestions?   ???

This is for VERY occasional use.  Thanks,  Ben III

ClydesdaleKevin

When you plugged in your coach, did the 12 volt outlet still read ~12 volts?

And did the light on the inverter only come on, either the high or the low voltage lights, with the TV-DVD combo plugged in, or did those lights come before you even plugged in the TV?

The reason I'm asking is that the smaller inverters act wierd when you get near thier maximum output.  The general rule of thumb for inverters is to get one that puts out twice the amount of output than the maximum power draw of the device you intend to use.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

sharkfot

I never tested the voltage with the coach plugged in--the low power signal on the inverter came on when I tried to turn the TV on--the TV is rated to draw an average of 80-110 watts--any ideas?  just a cheap converter?

Ben III

ClydesdaleKevin

Check your voltage with the rig plugged into shore power, but I'm guessing that it was just a defective inverter.  If your average watt draw from the TV was just 110, then 500 watts should have been way more than enough for an inverter.

Maybe try another one?

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

sharkfot