sudden starting problem: '84 Elandan Chevy P30

Started by sharkfot, July 10, 2010, 10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkfot

Never had any starting problems with the 84 elandan (p-30, 454)--yesterday I cranked it to move it in the yard--started no problem--today went to crank it and the starter was "dragging" and clicking--sounded and acted just like a low battery--hit the battery boost from the deep cycles--no change--replaced coach battery--no change--replaced starter ( I carry a spare) no change--according to my meter when the key is turned and the starter engaged the voltage at the starter drops way off--down to 4 volts--checked coach battery ground--seems ok--bypassed the solenoid for the MOM battery boost and deep cycle charge--no change--the voltage when starting is ok on the starter side of the solenoid so the problem seems to be between there and the starter--I inspected the main copper cable that feeds the starter--it seems ok although  I know that look and feel is not everything--"jumped" the starter solenoid with a screwdriver--same action--no change (engine barely turns over)--what next?  I keep seeing references (researching on the net) to an extra starter solenoid somewhere near the alternator--should I look for this?--my only other option is a new starter cable--not optimistic about this as I ran a separate cable to the starter and it did not change anything . . . any ideas?   Hm? i??

jkilbert

double check chassis battery ground and ground strap from engine to chassis
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

sharkfot

Quote from: jkilbert on July 11, 2010, 06:39 AM
double check chassis battery ground and ground strap from engine to chassis

I had thought about the engine ground straps--how many should there be and where do I look for them?  (top or bottom of engine?) ???

sharkfot

Quote from: sharkfot on July 11, 2010, 09:02 AM
I had thought about the engine ground straps--how many should there be and where do I look for them?  (top or bottom of engine?) ???

ground strap off of rear corner of engine seems ok--can anyone tell me about the solenoid behind the alternator--it does click when key is engaged--getting ready to check voltages there.

sharkfot

Quote from: sharkfot on July 11, 2010, 12:33 PM
ground strap off of rear corner of engine seems ok--can anyone tell me about the solenoid behind the alternator--it does click when key is engaged--getting ready to check voltages there.

GOT IT!!! Double double checked and it was the engine ground strap loose on the frame connection!