best way to temporarily roof/siding fix water leak issues

Started by perlgurl, June 13, 2016, 03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perlgurl

perlgurl

I've been reading through some of the other roof sealing threads; I was worried about getting the right product since I do have a small ponding issue in my roof  due to some sagging from previous damage and it seems maybe I do want the silicone based elastomeric coating I found at Lowes. I'm still going to head to Home Depot later today just to check my options....

From "Re: Roof Sealing and Coating"
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,8866.0.html

perlgurl

After going to every store in town to see what my options were I ended up using repair fabric with silicone-based elastomeric sealant for my roof.  I put down a brushed layer of sealant with a brush, then a layer of tape, then another brushed layer over the tape.  There was a lot of brushing, kneeling and cursing in that first coat!

I think let it dry a couple hours and rolled the entire roof.  I need to put down another layer, but today is cloudy and grey with a chance of sprinkles so I'm going to wait until mid-week when it warms up to put on layers 2 and maybe even 3. 

I also ordered a 50 foot roll of eternabond from amazon that I'm hoping arrives before the weekend so that I can put it over the edges since I've only found a kit at the RV shop that has 10 foot of tape in it and it cost the same as the 50 foot roll (~$50).

Progress thus far.  I did all of this work on my own too!

joanfenn

M & J

M & J

perlgurl

Thanks! It's not my best work and could have been better, but since I only want it to last a year or so I decided to not tape around vents or the edges before painting.   I got really close with the roller (I've painted most of the rooms in my house so I'm pretty good with a roller at this point)  and plan to just seal all the vents with the eternabond if they look like they need it too :) 

TerryH

Quote from: perlgurl on June 19, 2016, 05:15 PM
  and plan to just seal all the vents with the eternabond if they look like they need it too :) 
Suggestion - even if they don't look like they need it. Roof to front cap as well.
Eternabond tape is one of RVer's best friends. Expensive, but it is a product that delivers what it claims to.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

You HAVE to seal those vents! It looks great but do not expect it to last a year. You have a lot of damage under there and as it dries out and starts to shrink all kinds of things are going to start happening. Consider this a repair to get you through your big trip and probably not a lot more. If you try to drag it out until next year you will be sorry.

TerryH

Seriously, Joyce, consider the variation of expansion and contraction factors, regardless of a temporary repair. You have your existing roofing. Then you apply a coating up to, but not including vents, etc. The roof expands and contracts at factor 'A'. Coating, especially if you go heavy coats, at factor 'B'. They will move in conjunction with each other for a point in time. Now add in a plastic/poly propelene item, being the vent, etc. which has not been coated. They expand and contract at factor 'X', and they are not tied into the coating, factors 'A' and 'B'.
Something has to physically let loose. When it does, return of leaks.
What you are and have done, to me, is exactly what you should as a temporary repair, other than omitting including the vents.
Excellent work so far.
Very unfortunate that you will have major roof repair in the future.
There is a lot of info here from members that have done so.
Albus Dumbledore

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

perlgurl

It rained last night and I’ve got the RV tarped to protect it for now; once the weather clears and warms up again, mid-week if I am to believe the weatherman, I’m planning to paint around all the vents (see, I listen!) and then roll a couple more coats, hopefully all in one day.  Then hopefully my eternabond will be here by Friday so I can apply that to the edges and the “roof to front cap” as well (see attached photo to make sure I understand please).

I’m seriously hoping to be able to get the rest of this season out of this roof with this fix so that I can do the new roof either over the winter or early spring next year: 

I had not done anything extra to seal the vents since I didn’t do anything to them (i.e. I didn’t remove old sealing material from them and they are not leaking).  I’ve painted right up to the edge of the vents and even onto the edges a bit, touch the screws on a couple. 

I’m not fully understanding why I would need to go through resealing them if nothing was changed, but I’ll do it to be thorough.

I’m also trying to understand what the difference is between my seal of the roof which seems to be so temporary and the one that Oz did here http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=7 where he states his should last much longer.  Is it due to the basic condition of the underlying roof? Whereas I’m trying to fix an issue, the one from Oz was just preventative maintenance perhaps?

Rickf1985

Come on now! I just went back and looked at the pic of the vents and the one without the broken pipe has the rubber separating from the pipe, you may get by with caulking that one for a little bit but I would pretty much bet it s leaking. The other one with the broken pipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is WIDE open!!! Any RV store should have the proper flange seal for that, if not find a tire place and get an inner tube and cut a smaller hole in it and slide it over the pipe and find some way to glue it to the roof. Eternabond over the edges of the inner tube to the roof? Don't stretch it tight after you pull it over, pull it over and then sort of pooch it back a little so there is some slack to allow for movement. Put a hose clamp on it for good measure. You are doing GREAT! Don't slack off now!
I don't think you want to try to replace an RV roof in the winter in Alaska, unless you have somewhere under shelter.

legomybago

She posted a pic with two new plumbing vent covers Rick. I think that's in the works i??

perlgurl

Yes I have new plumbing vents I was planning to install once I'm done with the roof. Should o install them before I apply the next two coats ?

TerryH

First, I apologize. When I said roof to cap connection I wasn't thinking of an eyebrow. In my case it is a water trap while driving and a dam while parked. Not sure about yours. However, looking back at your photo 163538, I would suggest you be generous in your application of the Eternabond tape. The temporary coating you use on your roof will only seal minimal openings. All of your vents - stink pipe, fridge, air, etc. should be taped over on the flange to roof, and cover mounting screws. Then paint over the tape and remaining exposed flange with the product you have chosen.
I know you are under the gun time wise, so the  tape itself will likely get you through this trip. Another complete coat, if you have enough, when you return won't hurt.
As far as feeling that the vents aren't leaking, they are very susceptible to UV and will develop microscopic cracks with age. These will leak, especially if there is a standing water situation.
You have various water ingress issues, but when dealing with water it is extremely difficult to determine the point of ingress. Best bet, which you seem to be doing, is address any possible point of ingress.
As far as tarping for the winter, please consider condensation and the need for air circulation. This is, of course, a different topic.
Please understand that these are only my suggestions.
Best of luck, and if you don't let us know how this trip goes, expect a lot of 'abuse'. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)rotflmao
Albus Dumbledore

M & J

M & J

perlgurl

Maybe I need to rethink the order I’m planning when the weather co-operates since it seems like I had the order backwards.  Does this sound better?

-        Remove old plumbing vents and install plumbing vents
-        Clean all vents (again) and seal with eternabond tape
-        Seal all edges with eternabond
-        Re-roll the roof twice with my sealant

TerryH

Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

:)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp

The more coats you can get on there the better. I would still take the tarp with me and if rain threatened I would tarp it on the trip while camped. Better safe than wet. Just leave the fridge vent open/uncovered if you are using the fridge.

Wilhelm7

Quote from: perlgurl on June 15, 2016, 11:02 PM
Pretty sure this first photo is my reason for the leak inside.  Also why would these (vents) not have covers? They are both located at the bathroom sink and the kitchen sink area.
The RV-type vent caps deteriorated in the weather. New covers are about $5.00 each. They make a press fit around the PVC vent pipe. Seal the flange with sealing tape, then caulk the edge, so says my local RV parts dealer. It looks like the second vent broke off at roof level. I would cut it off inside and join in a new chunk of PVC and a coupler, glued with PVC glue. You have to cut it to the right length to accommodate the new vent cap's height, i.e., long enough to make a seal around the pipe, short enough for the flange to lay on the roof.

perlgurl

I'm still waiting on my eternabond to get here; it has not even shipped yet and I leave in three days so I'm thinking amazon failed me on this order and I'll need to work out a new plan.  No one has it locally so I need to figure out the best course of action for my upcoming trip. It's supposed to be nice Thursday and Friday so I'll need to finish what I can then: 

Option 1: use 8 of the 10 feet to seal the seam at the front of the roof where it was the most damaged and use the remaining 2 feet to seal the edge above the window where I have the leak on the side.  Put down a couple coats of sealant. Take my tarp and cover the RV once I get into the park. (the fridge is just being used as a cooler so I can cover that vent).

Option 2: seal the vents and the edge above the window where I have the leak on the side.  Put down a couple coats of sealant. Take my tarp and cover the RV once I get into the park.

Either way, when I get back from my trip, put down the eternabond on the sides of the roof and add another layer or two of the sealant on the roof prior to the next trip I have planned.

Suggestions or ideas which option is better or maybe other ideas?

perlgurl

My thinking and concern with option 1 is that is won't actually seal the leak.  The leak is above the bunk that I only use for storage and with a tarp on top during the stay it will stay dry so I don't think that is my best course of action.  I feel like I will need three 8' long strips of the tape going across the roof to really seal that leak so maybe fixing the side area leak and ensuring all the vents are well sealed would be the best thing to do with what I've got.

legomybago

Well, at the end of the day, your still going to have your tarp just in case! Sounds like you are working it out. Have fun on your trip

xerofall

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

And then I used the sticky tape to go over all the seams.

perlgurl

Thanks xerofall!  Piics help.   I have two new flat vents sort of like the shorter one you installed.  There are six screws I'll be using to attach it to the existing hole and the hole pattern matches up with the new vents, but what kind of glue or adhesive did you either between vent and roof and/or around the newly install vent?