Full timing in a stationary RV in the deep cold... ideas to keep insulated?

Started by aaron7, January 04, 2014, 08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaron7

Living in our (stationary) 79 Shasta for the winter till we can fix up and sell it come warmer weather.Last night it was -14 degrees here and the camper dropped below 50 inside.  Every time the wind blows it feels like there's windows open!  We have blankets tacked up over all the windows and draped over the dash & oven to help with drafts but this old 70's beast just won't hold heat!

What are some tricks people have done to seal these old things up a bit more??

LJ-TJ

Don't know exactly what your set up is but have you considered getting some hay bales and putting them around the bottom of the RV to keep the wind and cold from blowing around and under the RV. Also you might consider going to Menards and buying some high density foam and cutting it out to place over the windows and then getting one of those heat shrink storm window type things. Might help some. Hm?

LJ-TJ

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

aaron7

Skirting around the bottom with hay or foam would definitely be a big help. Will look into that!

Is there any way to put plastic over the windows without having to deal with sticky residue when I peel it all off?

As for the setup, we're in a driveway and don't need to move till we run out of propane which seems to be 2-3 weeks.

cosmic

Im sure you could rent a hundred pound tank and connect it to the rig some how. any gas or welding supply company will deliver the tank right to where you are.  call around and see who will give you the best price as they do vary big time.
Now I have 20 lb. portable tanks so I don't know how you can hook up to a permanent tank. perhaps it can be attached some how.

LJ-TJ

Believe it or not the sticky residue will come of by rubbing cooking oil on it. Piece of cake. D:oH!

Froggy1936

Or WD 40 but you will have to clean that off with alcohol to put plastic on again  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

dezertgurl

Check out your compartments which open to the outside, mine had prodigious air leaks around their doors, LOTS of cold air coming in! I managed to stop most of it with 1" foamboard pieces stuffed in behind the doors. I also used it in the ceiling vents.
My local propane company brought me a 125 gallon tank for a fairly low fee, they also plumbed it in to my existing piping. Costs a lot less per gallon that way!
Good luck getting thru the winter, it's tough to live in these things when conditions outside are harsher than the house was designed for!
Just sold 1973 Winnie D20 Brave