1970 Dodge Commander Transmission Removal and Replacement

Started by Acuda4me, October 09, 2012, 02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acuda4me

I have a 1970 Dodge Commander (M30 I THINK with a 413) and no reverse. Can the 1st/reverse band be replaced with the trans in place? I see no way to remove the trans without pulling the engine! The crossmember seems to be rivited to the frame. Do I grind off the rivits? Cut a hole in the floor? !!!

Oz

Unfortunately, these RVs weren't designed for "garage mechanics" when it comes to the engine and transmission.  They were designed to be raised up on massive lifts and, even then, the engine and transmission were removed as a unit, forward and down through the front.

I know this doesn't help with a specific answer but, it's obvisous by design that, in order to get the transmission out without removing the engine is going to take some creative thinking.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ibdilbert01

On mine, a 1971, M300 chassis, the tail shaft sits on cross member, but the cross member is not riveted like yours, its bolted.     I was able to drop my tranny really easy by unbolting the cross member and sliding it towards the rear of the bago.

Maybe you can grind the rivets and replace them with bolts?    If you get a chance, post some pics, maybe we can come up with a better idea.   
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

DELTA912

i HAD a 1978? Dodge M400 Commander. crossmember was bolted on. your going to need to left it  and pull the Engine and trans as a set.

For me I scraped the one i had but thats what was the deal for that one, if i was to keep it.

or mod the crossmember and do it that way.
Found an RV. 1976 Dodge spotsman W/ 360
Family Wagon by Travco!

Acuda4me

Tried to get pictures last night, but it was too dark by the time I got home. Yes, I may have to grind the rivets off and replace them with bolts in order to drop it without pulling the engine. I was just hoping someone on the board had done this before and could offer some advice. I'll try to get some pictures up, soon.