1971 318-3 Broken Dipstick Removal Info?

Started by James E Vining, July 27, 2013, 11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E Vining

I have found another issue, I was running the engine at about 4K just checking how everything sounded and seeing how New carb and my Electronic Dist. conversion was working out and I noticed the engine started smoking and traced it back to the Exhaust Pipe that runs under front of engine at first I thoght the fuel pump was leaking oil then noticed the Dipstick was broken right where it goes into block and some Knuckle head had tried to put a bunch of Copper Silicone on it to seal it which obviously did not work so well.
I cannot figure out how to get the broken section out of block without dropping oil pan and pushing from bottom end which I would prefer not to do unless i have to.
I was thinking at first Id do that and replace the oil pump with a HV one but I found that at start up I have about 55-60 Pounds of oil pressure and at idle it is around 35 so I am thinking oil pump is in good shape.

Any suggestions as to getting the broken piece out?? I tried using one of the Screw extractors I have but cannot really get to it very easily.