Cost Experiences and Tips to RV Full Time

Started by gromit440, January 28, 2009, 09:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gromit440

I receive emails all the time about the costs to RV full-time. So, while answering a blog reader I thought a new thread to address cost experiences and cost tips may be a good idea to help those considering and presently RVing full-time. My answer to one reader follows:

Hey Mary & Frank,

It was pretty scary to sell all our "stuff", rent out our home in Pinehurst, NC, and take to the road fulltime. Truth is, it was like getting a gorilla off our backs and we haven't looked back or missed the rat race of a life we were previously living a lick. And, people ask us all the time what it costs to travel in an RV fulltime. Most are totally surprised with the answers.

Briefly, we can bare bones RVing fulltime for about $700 a month. To do this plan on losing a pound or two, boondocking and/or staying at the cheaper State Park, National Park, National Forest, and Army Corps of Engineers, etc. camps. If you are disabled or 62, you can get a Golden Access Card which allows 1/2 price camping at National Park, National Forest, and Army Corps of Engineers, etc. camps. And if you have been in the military, there are many, nice, low cost military camps located near military bases scattered around the country.

We tend to spend about $1300 to $1500 a month and live quite comfortably enjoying good food, entertainment, and places to explore along the way. Of course, there are many that spend $1500 to $5000 a month and stay at fancy private campgrounds. Bottom line, it's up to you what you want to spend and how you want to live.

Remember, my estimates are based on our RV being paid for and does not include what one may have to pay for health insurance or other costs such as the amount of fuel one will use and other issues an individual may have to deal with.

If you are tired of running in the perverbial squirrel cage many consider a good way of life, the outdoors with its wonder, peace and serenity awaits you. I hope we have been of help and feel free to contact us anytime at travco(at)rvfolly(dot)com anytime.

Jeff and Sandra

gromit440

I haven't checked elsewhere yet but Florida has closed many state parks due to the economy. Anyone heading to Florida in the future should check to see if their favorites camps are still open before headin' out.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around all this. Land is purchased with public funds, improved with public funds to build campgrounds designated as the only area within the park one can camp, DNR officials and Rangers and others are hired, and when the money runs low they just close the gate to everyone. "Sorry, your land is off limits now. Have a good day."  :-\

I remember as a kid growing up in Wisconsin we could go to unimproved state and federal lands and camp wherever we wanted. Then, in the late 60's we had to stop first at a DNR station to get a "free" fire permit and fill out a form indicating where we would be camped. Then, the fire permit was $5.00 Then, designated campgrounds were built and dispersed boondocking was no longer allowed. We found private land adjacent to the parks and asked permission from the farmers to boondock to maintain our freedom to park where we wanted and not be crammed into a small area. Thank goodness for the farmers at the time. I don't know if that could work now as I hear most of the small farms in Wisconsin have been bought up by big corporations.

Border papers now? Where are we heading with that? As a member commented, our freedoms are truly going away...as least for those old enough to remember what things were like years ago. As George Carlin said in his 2006 "Who Really Controls America"  bit, "There's a big club, and we (the people) aren't in it!" Sorry for getting so far off track......I get fired up now and then.....lol.

4winds

What freedoms?  Pretty soon one will need to get "permission" to take a shower or do much of anything.  That said,this is still the best country in the world.  We just need to get off our duffs and take our country back.  Ed

Oz

I understand and personally agree with your viewpoints.  However, let's please return to the topic before it gets into a political expression forum and the topic loses it's primary focus.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

4winds

Sorry,  I live full time in mine and altho I don't move it my  expences rent and utilities run me under $500 a month.  As I'm in the process of rebuilding this beast must of my exp. is for materials and parts.  I'm on Social Security so have limited funds,but, am getting it done.  If wife gets better will try to travel and know that will be possible with what we have to work with.  Ed

osloinnc

hi Ed. I, too, am a full timer living on SS. I live in a plubic parking lot, have been for over three years. I currently own two RVs, why, I'm not sure. My newest one has an inboard generator big enough to run an air conditioner. It is a little more roomy than my older one
. I am in the process of fixing one up for me to live in the long term. I work full time, but don't know how long that will last. I want to put in electric steps, plus some other added safety features that will make living in an RV more safe and comfortable.

82 Ford Bravo--old one
86 Chevrolet-- newer one

I'm open for any new ideas. There was a man who has made a CD of ideas and such. It sells for $12.95 but I didn't save his info and now can't locate his name and address. If any one knows please let me know.

oslo in nc

osloinnc

PS: I have people asking me if I have running water or a toilet in my RV. I tell them that I have everything in my RV that you have in your house, except I don't have a washer and dryer and rent.  Then I give a pleasant smile. lol

oslo in nc :)