1978 brave steering box needed

Started by racinjason, November 14, 2008, 09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racinjason

Sent: 9/11/2006 3:15 PM

I'm looking for an steering box for a 1978 brave M-300. If anyone knows where i could get one or a part # . The one i have is leaking where the steering column goes in.  Do they offer a rebuild kit? Any help would be grateful.
PH: 717-324-5852 or jason.yeatts@goodmanmfg.com
Thanks

Racin07jason

Sent: 9/11/2006 9:28 PM

Kits are available to rebuild the Saginaw steering box, including the seals. It may be divided up into 2 or 3 kits though. The seal that is leaking at the top of the steering box can be replaced with the steering box in place on the RV - by unbolting the steering column and moving it up out of the way, and away from the splined shaft that goes into the steering box. One of our members did this in the last month or two, and described what he did in a message thread in the 'Miscellaneous' category. It was titled "And More Progress". The posting that mentioned fixing the leak in his steering box was message # 45 in the thread, so it may take some looking to find it.
I replaced that same seal on mine when it was leaking, though I removed the steering box to do so. It turned out I could have done the work without taking that heavy steering box off and muscling it back into place.
The last time I saw someone mention a source for the rebuilt steering boxes, it was:
Steer-n-Gear
1000 Barnett Rd.
Columbus, OH 43227
1-800-253-4327
It is claimed they specialize in mopar steering boxes, but the ones used on our motor homes weren't made by mopar, but are Saginaws - used on many vehicles, even today.
If your steering isn't nice and sweet, then adjusting that steering box, and the front wheel toe-in is probably all that is needed. I can email you the long winded instructions I typed up about steering problems on our dodge chassis motor homes, just let me know.
The seal I got only cost a few dollars, and completely stopped the leak. My steering box now stays dry. I also replaced the hydraulic lines to the steering box. If you have the hydroboost brakes, where the power steering pump also supplies the booster for the brakes as well as the steering, then I advise you to replace those hydraulic hoses about each ten years. And if you don't know how old the ones on your rig are now, I would replace them, so you do know. If one of the hoses splits, you not only lose your power steering, but your -power- brakes too. Very hard to stop without the -power-.

Sent: 9/12/2006 10:17 AM

Thank-you for all your help denisondo. I will put your info to good use. If you ever need any help on anything feel free to look me up.
Thanks jason

Sent: 9/14/2006 1:06 PM

I've been looking for that seal. Where did you get yours at?
Thanks jason

Sent: 9/14/2006 3:54 PM

Finding a place that has the seal might take a few phone calls. Many years ago I had needed a wheel bearing for my 32 Chevy, and found a local place listed under 'Bearings' in the Alexandria, VA yellow pages. Its name then was Bearings and Transmission Systems, but it was bought up by another firm and is now called 'Allied Industrial Technologies'.
They still sell all kinds of bearings and seals. However such places probably wont have any listings for old trucks, and wont know what seal # you need for the steering box. You would need to have the old part for them to measure, or have the number from it. The other business in our yellow pages under 'Bearings' is called Motion Specialties, and I have bought seals and bearings from them too.
I would hope that most any machine shop would know the name of such a business in your area. Also a heating/ventilating/a.c. supply store might have a good idea where to buy bearings. Any place that deals in bearings is likely to deal in seals too. But, you will likely need to have the old one with you, or the number from it.
I cant find the seal # from mine right now, but will send you an email with that number. Of course I don't know if it would be the same seal as your later steering box would take.

Sent: 9/15/2006 7:58 AM

Thanks for the info. I called my local dodge dealer and they had a small seal kit for the top half of the steering box.
Thanks jason