Refrigerator works on electric, ignites but then shuts down on LP gas.

Started by kpq, October 15, 2013, 03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpq

the Refrigerator works great on electric but on gas it lights but the igniter stays on like it is still trying to light after a couple min.the whole thing shuts down.any ideas as what's going on?it is a Dometic Royale and I think it is a RM 3801 if this Helps.

Froggy1936

You may have to open a propane line at the refrigerator to bleed out the air in the line it can take a long time for it to bleed on its own as the safety shuts everything off if it does not see flame . Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Oz

I had the same issue with my Norcold.  If it sat for more than a day or two, it would take a while for the gas to get to the refrigerator enough to stay lit.  I would hear the "ticking".... then it would shut off and I'd see the X on the control panel.  It usually would take 5 minutes, sometimes even longer for the gas feed to be steady.  After that, it would run like a champ.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DaveVA78Chieftain

Quotebut on gas it lights but the igniter stays on

The DSI control board is not sensing that the propane has been lit.

http://dutchmen.com/image/data/documents/parts/Dometic_AES_Refer_Diagnostic_Service_Manual.pdf

Check the ignitor adjustment and operation (pg A-6-47).

Dave
[move][/move]

kpq

Dave thanks if u read at 147 sounds like what's going on with mine.but how do I fix it?or what do I need?it light's ok but it's not reading that it is light Hm?

Mr. T

Cut off the refrigerator inside the coach.  Do not use the generator.  Disconnect from the land line, if you are using one.

It would appear that you are getting gas, just not enough of it.  Lets do the easy stuff first.  Be sure the shut off valve to the coach main tank is wide open.  Check the coach ignition key and be sure it is in the off position.  At the outside access door to the refrigerator, open and close the pressure regulator valve.  This valve should have an arrow that shows the direction of gas flow.  You want this arrow pointing towards the heater. 

Wiggle, push and pull all of the wiring connections. May be corrosion there.

Turn on refrigerator.  I use a auto setting on mine.  This lets it choose which source of energy to use.  Let it cycle several times if it needs to.  If nothing changes, I would then start the process of tear down and cleaning orifices.

Good luck to you.

Don T.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The RM3801 is Dometic's  first generation AES series unit.  Here is the best description and troubleshooting sites I know of for this model:
http://web.archive.org/web/20120714011506/http://www.rvmobile.com/Tech/Trouble/aes.htm

Unfortunantly RV Mobile is no longer in business which is why I had to point you to web archive site for the information.

Dave
[move][/move]

Mr. T

Wow, Dave, a really good job.  The archive is so much easier to follow than the the technical manual.

Don T.

kpq

ya wow dave THANKS!it sounds like a need a thermocouple.anybody know where I can get one now?

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

kpq

Thanks again everybody :)clap just ordered a thermocouple will see if does the trick!

Oz

As it goes, it is the most common item for the fix, so I hope it gets to you quickly and solves the problem!

kpq

can't believe it fed-ex was here today with a new thermocouple :)clap

kpq

Oz

Darn!  Gonna have to get ugly with it now...

I don't know if you have the manual for it but, we do have the Royale series in the member area.  3807.  I don't know if that's close to the 3801 but it's free and couldn't hurt to take a look. 

kage

Cleaning the burner with mineral spirits did a lot for mine. You're probably beyond that now, but...